Haruhi Fujioka is a student who transferred to Ouran on a scholarship. One day, when trying to look for a quiet place to study, Haruhi encounters the school's host club. After breaking an expensive vase, Haruhi is roped into serving the host club until the 8 million yen debt is paid off.
This episode provides examples of:
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ayanokoji, one of Tamaki's regular customers, gets jealous over Haruhi receiving a lot of Tamaki's attention. In retaliation, she throws Haruhi's luggage in the fountain. Also, when Haruhi deduces that Ayanokoji is jealous of her, she tries to make it look like Haruhi attacked her to get rid of her.
- Idea Bulb: Throughout the episode, a series of lightbulbs turn on when the host club interacts with Haruhi and notice something about her. When Tamaki finally sees for himself that Haruhi is a girl, the rest of the lightbulbs turn on and show the kanji for "female".
- Knew It All Along: It is revealed that Kyoya and the twins knew Haruhi was a girl before The Reveal.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Haruhi is easily mistaken for a boy because of her attire and short hair.
- Luminescent Blush: When Haruhi complements Tamaki for helping her with Ayanokoji, Tamaki's whole face turns red.
- Mistaken for Gay: Because everyone (except Kyoya) thought Haruhi was a boy, Tamaki assumed that "he" was openly gay.
- Samus Is a Girl: The ending reveals that Haruhi was a girl the whole time.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Tamaki is shocked by the discovery of Haruhi being a girl the whole time. Subverted with the host club who gets subtle clues about Haruhi's gender and aren't bothered at all.