Basic Trope: A dangerous sport.
- Straight: Troperball involves frequent tackling, punching, and has few rules. It's not uncommon for serious injuries or death to happen.
- Exaggerated: Troperball requires the victors to kill their enemies, in the most brutal fashion possible.
- Downplayed: Troperball can result in injury, but only if played improperly.
- Inverted: Troperball is so safe, even a newborn can play it.
- Subverted: A newcomer watching Troperball sees the players are covered head to toe in protective gear as is required by the National Troperball League's regulations...
- Double Subverted: ...but soon discovers that protective gear is no good against the dynamite and shotguns used while playing.
Announcer #1: It seems Bob has managed to stick a golf ball up Alice's eye.Announcer #2: Alice has retaliated with a golf ball up Bob's rectal cavity. Hmm... who will get fed to the lions?
- Troperball is literally scored by broken bones and head trauma.
- Troperball is a variant of golf in which players attempt to hit each other with golf balls and the loser is fed to the lions. The commentators and audience are just as quiet and reserved as in normal golf.
- The high mortality rates of Troperball aren't by design; the players are just stupid and reckless when it comes to the health and safety guidelines.
- Zig Zagged: Troperball players toss around a large cotton ball...which promptly explodes. The explosion is required to only happen far from the players where no one is injured from the explosion itself...but the explosion frees a monster trapped inside the ball that both teams now have to fight or die trying.
- Averted: Troperball is an average sport when it comes to injuries
- Enforced: "People love watching violence, so let's Throw It In!!"
- Lampshaded: "Hey coach, how many of us do you think will live to see tomorrow's game?"
- Invoked: The stadium staff lines the field with land mines and bear traps.
- Exploited: If It Bleeds, It Leads. Lots of people tune in to the live broadcasts to watch the violence and gore, and anyone showing it becomes rich through the sponsors.
- Defied: All sports that have high danger are banned.
- Discussed: "This is kind of dangerous. Are we going to be all right?"
- Conversed: "Sports in the future sure are dangerous. You'd think dangerous incidents would've made them safer."
- So many players are killed or injured to where they cannot fully recover that the league runs out of people willing to play, resulting in the demise of Troperball.
- The National Troperball League gets hit with a massive class-action lawsuit from the athletes regarding unsafe work conditions. They win the case, and Troperball's rate of injury and death is reduced down to any other popular sport.
Back to Blood Sport