sai was originally an agricultural tool, but then became an Improvised Weapon often associated with Ninja.
In real life, sai are very rarely actually bladed weapons, and are primarily used in defense in order to disarm and/or break blades. In fiction, however, the middle prong (or all three) is usually sharpened into a makeshift dagger. (Sometimes Truth in Television, but not normal practice.) Unusually, Dual Wielding a pair of sai is Truth in Television. The common depiction of turning them into a punch-dagger type weapon with the middle prong held between the middle and ring finger decidedly is not Truth in Television, as it would be an absurdly useless way to wield a sai.
- Elektra's Weapon of Choice in the Daredevil comics. And to prove they're dangerous, movie portrayer Jennifer Garner confessed she cut her leg with one on the set.
- The Mummy Returns: A Flashback has a duel between two women Dual Wielding these, which doesn't make sense as sais originated from Asia, not Egypt. And, more specifically, sai were a rice-agricultural implement, and the Nile has always been primarily wheat territory.
- The Matrix Reloaded: Neo used his powers to pull two sais off the wall and fight with them during his battle with the Merovingian's minions. He ends up using them to pin one of his assailants to the wall.
- Xena: Warrior Princess's sidekick Gabrielle makes a point of fighting principally with a pair of Sai, starting in Season 5 and lasting until the end of the show. The exclusivity of the weapon to Gabrielle made them all the more cool.
- In Supergirl (2015), the villain Rhea owns a pair of sais with kryptonite blades.
- Red Panda Adventures: Japanese-Canadian superhero the Grey Fox uses sai as her weapon of choice and it's strongly implied that she isn't shy about using them with deadly force. When she's recruited into the Danger Federation, a collection of Canadian Superheroes defending the homefront during World War II, this clashes with the Red Panda's preference towards Thou Shalt Not Kill. However, because the Grey Fox is his wife the Flying Squirrel's best friend and she wanted her on the team, the Red Panda equips her with what the Grey Fox names Stingers. They're described as the same size and weight as her sai, but pack an electric punch she can use to take down opponents non-lethally.
- Mortal Kombat:
- In all of her appearances in the franchise, Mileena fights using a pair of sai. They are a way to set her apart from her Palette Swap counterparts, Kitana and Jade, who favor the Combat Hand Fan and Simple Staff, respectively.
- Mortal Kombat 11: Mileena does not appear in Mortal Kombat 11, but sai do still make an appearance as one of the three pieces of gear used by Kitana, alongside her mask and fan. There is also a Modifier that can occur in the Towers of Time, Mileena's Favorite, which involves sai being thrown across the fightline.
- Guild Wars, starting with Factions, has sais as a type of dagger for the Assassin profession.
- AdventureQuest Worlds also uses them as daggers, the one kind of weapon that can be dual-wielded. They're quite popular with Ninjas.
- Mai from Avatar: The Last Airbender has a collapsible dagger shaped like a sai, although she never gets the chance to strike anyone with it.