Named after Man Overboard's (one of the key bands of the movement) joke motto to defend pop punk from all of its detractors and critics (starting from The Effort's joke slogan, "Destroy Pop Punk"). By 2010, the mainstream Pop Punk and Emo Music that had once reigned over the airwaves had become the butt of jokes. Bands in the movement sought to restore the punk credit and emotional core to Pop Punk to make it worth defending.
Though it never reached mainstream status, the movement was nonetheless influential in the Punk and Alternative Rock scenes, with several associated acts performing at the final Warped Tour shows.
Bands in this genre:
- Man Overboard (trope namer)
- The Story So Far (trope codifier)
- The Wonder Years (trope maker)
- Tigers Jaw
- This Time Next Year
- Balance And Composure (mixes this with Grunge)
- Set Your Goals
- Transit (their recent albums mixes in more elements of Indie Emo, but is still very much close to the movement)
- Modern Baseball
- Major League
- Title Fight (Along with Citizen and Basement, one of the more Grungier bands in the genre)
- Knuckle Puck
- Trophy Eyes