Groom of the Tyrannosaur Queen is novel about a modern soldier, a barbarian warlord, and dinosaurs.
This web-novel provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Andrea Herrera, a badass even without her scary cybernetic armor.
- After-Action Patch-Up: Andrea spends most of the second third of the book recovering from the first third. Being mauled by a raptor is not something you just walk away from.
- Alien Lunch: Ginkgo fruit are plentiful in the Cretaceous, unfortunately.
- Amazon Brigade: Andrea makes one with the Ethlek women.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Battle is the only time Trals doesn't have to restrain himself from killing everyone around him.
- Battle Couple: Andrea and Trals, when they're not trying to kill each other.
- Becoming the Mask: Chris. It was originally just for protection, but got out of hand.
- Cool Sword: Vritai, the all-cutter, meteoric iron lacquered to keep it from rusting.
- Culture Clash:
- Andrea re: the Ethlek
- Chris re: the Thalassians
- And vice versa
- Famed in Story: Trals once burned down the biggest city in the Western Hemisphere. Now his name precedes him.
- Foreign Cuss Word: The Ethlek and the Thalassians are monotheists (sort of), but in addition to your standard "Oh God!"s and "Hell!"s, you've also got:
- "Teeth in the darkness!"
- "Angels, devils, and beasts!"
- Grey-and-Gray Morality: It's hard to imagine a worse human being than Trals Scarback, but somehow he's doing good?
- The Time of Myths: The Ethlek talk of "the lost city of Mega." The Thalassians of "the princes of Nwa-Mega. " Phonological analysis points to the cradle of both societies as a settlement called "New America."