Grace and Fury is a two-book series written by Tracy Banghart. The first book, Grace and Fury was published in 2018; the sequel, Queen of Ruin, in 2019.
In the misogynistic land of Viridia, where learning to read can send a woman to prison, the greatest dream of most girls is to be chosen as Graces and become concubines of the future king. Serina Tessaro is among them, unlike her rebel sister Nomi, who just wants to be free to choose her own future.In an odd twist of fate, Nomi is the one chosen by the Heir, the brooding and intimidating Malachi, and Serina is wrongly arrested and sent to a prison-island where she, trained to be pretty, graceful and submissive, has instead to fight for her life.
This work contains examples of the following tropes:
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Asa is very good at charming people and pretending to be a kind, caring person, but he's actually a cold-hearted sociopath.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Viridian girls can be sent to jail because they can read.
- Hated by All: Asa is so universally hated that his own mother doesn't lift a finger to stop Nomi from killing him.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he was a child, Asa broke Malachi's favourite toy horse and spent six months learning how to carve wood to make him another one. But he was just trying to impress his father, who fell for it and gave him a real horse.
- No Woman's Land: Women in Viridia have no rights and can be sold like cattle to be servants or wives.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Nomi is the rebel who wants to be like her male twin Renzo, Serina is the pretty girl who has been training for her whole life to be graceful, elegant and submissive. They later swap roles, with Nomi becoming a Grace and Serina a warrior and a leader.