Beasts of No Nation is the first novel by Uzodinma Iweala. The story is narrated by a child soldier in an unnamed African country. It was adapted into a film in 2015.
This book includes the following tropes:
- Big Bad: The Commandant, a brutal warlord who rapes his soldiers.
- Child Soldiers: Agu and many of his fellow NDF soldiers.
- Karmic Death: The Commandant, who uses and abuses his soldiers, is killed by one of them.
- Stylistic Suck: Agu narrates in broken English that mimics the style of Nigerian speakers.
- Tragic Bromance: Strika's death has a profound impact on Agu.