- This exchange:Tobble: I wonder if I might...if I might inquire as to whether you have a plan?Byx: My plan is to avoid arrows!
- Whenever Byx or Gambler discuss the taste of wobbyk meat in the presence of Tobble.
- Gambler forgets about Byx being a Living Lie Detector.Gambler: We don't get along, felivets and raptidons. They steal our kills. And in retaliation we occasionally eat one of their kind.Byx: You forget. I'm a dairne.Gambler: Are you suggesting that I've told an untruth?Byx: The words "retaliation" and "occasionally" sort of leapt out at me.Gambler: I may have shaded the truth a bit. It's possible that I've eaten one or two raptidons, maybe three. (Beat) Or maybe closer to twenty or thirty.
- Meeting Lar Camissa. A natite starts listing her titles.
"Behold Lar Camissa, Queen of all Subdur Natitia, Protector of the Sacred Waters, Fire Maker; Lar Camissa, the Undefeated. Lar Camissa, the Mighty. Lar Camissa, Mother of Multitudes. Lar Camissa..."
The titles and praise continued for a long time, and it seemed a lot for a creature riding a slug around the shore of a subterranean lake.
- Tobble talking about his "very own room".Tobble: I share it with my brothers Blaxton, Roopwart, and Piddlecombe. And McGuppers, Jellyhorn, and Bribbles. So it's not exactly only my room.