Young and lonesome drifter Jon Kortina (Sestero) is encountered an by eccentric mortician named Harvey Lewis (Wiseau) and is taken in by him. After a short while, the two become friends and hatch an underground enterprise off the back of the Harvey's old habits. But greed, hatred, and jealousy soon come in turn, and their efforts unravel, causing Jon to run off with the spoils and leaving Harvey adrift. An expedition across the South West introduces wild and crazy characters through a series of twisted and dark foibles as both men learn a valuable lesson about friendship and loyalty.
Best F(r)iends contains examples of
- Actor Allusion: At one point Harvey says "Oh, hi Jon", a reference to the infamous "Oh, hi Mark" from The Room.
- Beggar with a Signboard: Jon is depicted as such at the beginning of the film before Harvey gives him a job.
- Con Man: Traci and her "Uncle" Rick are a pair.
- Creepy Mortician: Harvey is depicted as this.
- Gold Digger: When Jon gets a girlfriend named Traci and wants to share some newfound riches with her, Harvey accuses her of being this. Turns out she's even worse.
- I Love the Dead: Harvey is possibly a necrophiliac.
- Literal Cliffhanger: How Part 1 ends.
- The Reveal: Quite a few in Part 2, starting with Traci having a history as a con artist.
- Robbing the Dead: Jon's get-rich scheme involves selling the gold scrap from corpses' teeth from Harvey's morgue.
- The Stinger: Part 2 ends with Vicente, the man that was called by a locksmith to help him steal Jon's money, arriving at Jon's new home.
- Stock Unsolved Mysteries: Harvey's backstory is tied to the Black Dahlia murder.
- Third-Act Misunderstanding: Jon thinks that Harvey is keeping their money for himself and is hiding something from him with the mysterious 'Malmo'. Harvey is in fact trying to buy a new house for Jon and Malmo is just a real estate agent.
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: The story is inspired by an incident from Sestero's The Disaster Artist in which he believed Tommy was taking him on a road trip to kill him.