The Enterprise responds to a Distress Call by a mining company scout ship only to find the entire crew except the captain massacred, with no clue as to the perpetrators. Called away on an urgent mission before they can investigate properly, the crew soon discovers that something more than a badly battered human has been brought aboard...
This fanfic contains the following tropes:
- Big Damn Heroes : Subverted. Zahna mistakes the prospectors who had landed on her planet to be a Rescue Team from her own species who has come to take her away from her now-dead planet. This goes very very badly as the psychic communication used among her people happens to be Mind Rape if done to a non-telepathic human.
- Distress Call : What sets the plot in motion. It is an automated call, which doesnt bode well for the survival of the senders
- Double-Meaning Title: Two sole survivors are involved. Captain Smith, who is the only one left alive of his twelve member crew by the time rescue arrives, and the native child Zahna who is the last of her kind left on Xaheer Three.
- Poltergeist : Not exactly, but the effects of Zahna's power combined with Smith's Id monsters result in plenty poltergeist style activity, ranging from screwing up machinery to slaughtering Smith's entire crew. Further fitting the classical poltergeist style, it is a young girl whose mental power is causing the damage - completely unintentionally.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia : Smith suffers from this when he wakes up aboard the Enterprise. He doesn't remember anything after landing on Xaheer Three, and is under the impression that his crew is still alive. Kirk and Mc Coy has to tell him that his people were murdered, which he naturally takes very badly. Worse, as it turns out, he was the one who murdered them, though not intentionally. Neither he nor the Enterprise team suspects it at this point.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom : Zahna. Shes just a scared child who acted the way she had been trained to do, placing all her power at the disposal of an adult Only, said adult happens to be a non telepathic human whos unable to withstand the onslaught of psychic power, and is driven insane. Leading to the deaths of his entire crew, and nearly the Enterprise crew as well.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity : Smith. Though most of it is due to Zahna's inexperienced and thus traumatizing attempt at telepathy.Things only get worse when he realises exactly what he did to his crew.