While out with Aja one day, Kimber notices a new single on the radio is eerily similar to a song she wrote with Stormer a year ago. Way too similar to be coincidental. As it turns out, Pizzazz sold it, and some other songs Stormer didn't considered up to par, to Eric Raymond, who in turn sold them to a new group and hadn't told Stormer anything of it. As it turns out, he has no legal reason to. It's allowed in her contract, which says all her song's are Eric's.
A lawsuit would take a lot of time and effort, but Kimber won't let her best friend claim defeat. She conjures up a plan involving the most unlikely of peers: Riot of The Stingers.
This fic provides examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Canon implies that Craig and Stormer naturally have blue hair. Here, they're naturally black haired. This is because the story uses realistic hair colors, not outlandish ones.
- Animal Motifs: Riot compares Stormer's personality to a cat: sometimes aloof, sometimes affectionate, and dangerous when angered.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Stormer is usually soft and a little shy, but when backed into a corner she becomes a force to be reckoned with. This is what attracts Riot to the normally wallflower-seeming Misfit.
- Dead Fic: Painted Blind hasn't been updated since 2009. It ended on a cliffhanger with Craig and Aja broken up, Pizzazz betrayed by Stormer, and Rapture kicked out of the Stinger's.
- Not a Morning Person: Stormer sleeps in on Saturday's and hates being awoken early.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The Stingers are bigger than Jem and the Holograms in Japan. They also sell well in a lot of Europe.
- Opposites Attract: Stormer is a (normally) sweet and gentle woman, while Riot is a suave womanizer. They're very different people.
- Promoted to Love Interest:
- The fic is a Stormer/Riot fic. In canon, Stormer dislikes Riot. She does at the start of the fic, but still ends up in love with him.
- Stormer dated Angus from the episode "Island of Deception".
- Shout-Out: The title is one to How Stella Got Her Groove Back.
- Sweet Tooth: Stormer takes her coffee with a lot of sugar and cream.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: It's mentioned that Riot once dated a pair of twins from Sweden.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Poked fun of by Riot's dad when he questions why all musicians seem to colour their hair.