First Impressions and Second Chances is an Avengers fic written by lilsmartass.
"The Avengers are over protective of one another, we all know that. But when misunderstandings lead to flawed beliefs of who a person is, and when others are judged for misguided actions carried out without thinking, it's hard to know who to protect and defend."
So far the series consists of three parts, though the author says there are seven planned so far and that number goes up every once in a while.
- Iron Man Yes, Tony Stark...Not Recommended: "Clint and Steve have both seen Natashas report on Tony and expect him to be a certain way. With Pepper now out of the picture, Bruce in India and Thor is Asgard they have no one to show them just how wrong first impressions can be."
- Paved with Good Intentions: "Stark is arrogant, offensive, insensitive and everything Steve Rogers hates about the twenty first century, but not everything is as it seems. Companion piece to Iron Man Yes, Tony Stark Not Recommended and runs simultaneously with those events."
- Cuts and Bruises: "In the wake of the pain and shattered friendships caused by acting on their misunderstandings, can the Avengers ever really be a team? Third part of First Impressions and Second Chances."
- Maladjusted Geniuses and Mistaken Heroes: "The team is slowly healing and starting to come together, but surprise visit from Loki that forces Tony and Steve to depend on one another may force both of them to give more than they are willing. Fourth part of First Impressions and Second Chances."
- Unstoppable Force and Immovable Object: Tony has feelings for Steve, but with a past that can be most charitably described as rocky, how can he possibly hope for Steve to return them? Part 5 of the First Impressions and Second Chances series.
- Friends Are The Family You Choose For Yourself: The Avengers have finally come together, Tony and Steve are in the process of living happily ever after, and theyre finally the family that the Avengers have not-so-secretly spent their lives longing for. Its perfect, right? Except that Lokis back, and Clint is acting really strangely Sixth part of First Impressions and Second Chances.
Tropes contained in this series
- The Atoner: Clint is still suffering the consequences of the Loki thing, which exacerbates his initial dislike of Tony.
- Broken Pedestal: Captain America is this for Rhodey at the end of the first installment.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Rhodey breaks his hand punching Steve in the face. Luckily this has the effect of shutting Steve up long enough to listen.
- Irony: Steve promising Agent Hill he won't be led astray by Tony, as Agent Hill IS leading him astray about Tony.
- Must Make Amends: Steve and Clint once they realizes how off base they were about Tony. The fact that Clint went too far, even if Tony had been everything they thought he was, causes additional angst.
- Noodle Incident: We never do find out what happened in Thailand, or why divulging the details of Korea '95 is such an effective threat.
- No Social Skills: While charming, Tony doesn't seem to get some of the finer points of human interaction, and how some of his actions can come across.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Rhodey delivers an epic one to Steve.