The story is a one-chapter continuation of the Disney film. It focuses on Cinderella's mental health after the film. Cinderella's recovery after years of familial abuse isn't quick or easy. Even after becoming a princess and settling down with her husband, she's still troubled by her past.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Disorder: No medical conditons are noted due to the time-period, but Cinderella is mentally ill after years of abuse. She suffers from night terrors, anxiety, and other symptoms.
- Bittersweet Ending: Cinderella is still traumatized from her own horrific upbringing and it is implied that she'll always be not entirely stable, especially after having a traumatic miscarriage. However, she is surrounded by people who love her, her husband puts in a better effort in helping her with parenting, and the story ends with her giving birth to a girl that she happily names Liberty, to represent her own freedom from her past.
- Continuation: The story starts off after the end of the first Cinderella film.
- Dark Fic: Ex Tenebris, Lux explores Cinderella's recovery from her abusive childhood in depth. The abuse left a prolonged impact on her life.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Cinderella's husband offhandedly mention that child-rearing is a mother's job.
- Kid Fic: Downplayed. Cinderella being a parent is important to the story, but it's not the driving concept.
- Mental Health Recovery Arc: The story courses the first several years of Cinderella and Prince Charming's marriage. it covers a portion of her trauma recovery.
- Neat Freak: Played for Drama. Due to her abusive past as a servant for her step-family, Cinderella sometimes gets upset about cleanliness. She gets better as time goes on.
- No Name Given: Cinderella's husband is unnamed.
- Tragic Stillbirth: Cinderella loses her second pregnancy after weeks of being all-but bed bound. She eventually recovers, but the lost makes her focus on her son more.
- Trauma Button: Due to her experiences being locked away, Cinderella hates locked doors. She also gets worked up about the smallest messes.