An Empty Revenge is an Alternate Universe Fic of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, written by Ekrolo2 and published in Fan Fiction Dot Net. It is a retelling of the events of the movie with different interpretation of characters and outcomes.
40 years ago, colonel Paragus and his son Broly were outcast to the desolated world of Planet Vampa, but were found by the reformed army of Lord Freeza, who took an interest in Broly and decides to train him. Both Paragus and Freeza will use Broly as their tool of revenge against the Vegeta dynasty that is in Planet Earth, and one Saiyan named Son Goku.
It ended publication on December 2019.
The fic can be read here.
This work provides the following tropes:
- Adaptational Badass: Lemo was a non-combatant in the movie, he is a retired Sargent in the fic.
- Adaptational Intelligence: Freeza is more cautious than in canon, teaching Paragus about the Super Saiyan transformations obtained by Goku and Vegeta and personally training Broly before even going to Earth.
- Adaptational Personality Change:
- Paragus is less of an outcast in the fic, and his relationship with Broly is more paternal than it was in the movie, where Paragus was treated as a Hate Sink character.
- In the movie, Lemo is an old non-combatant member of the Freeza force. In the fic, he is an old sergeant that fought with the Saiyans in his youth and came back from retirement to help rebuild the empire.
- Freeza, while still Faux Affably Evil, acts more cordial and friendly with Paragus than in the movie, even treating him like an old friend, unlike the somewhat friendly but distant relationship in the movie.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul: Due to Lemo and Paragus being old soldiers, they bond and have something of a friendship in the fic. In the movie, this friendship doesn't exist.
- Adapted Out: None of the events of Dragon Ball Minus are touched upon, meaning neither Bardock nor Gine are mentioned. Instead, the author brings back Grandpa Gohan for the epilogue as, in his words, "he is Goku's true family, not Bardock".
- Commonality Connection: Due to their similar backgrounds as old soldiers, Lemo and Paragus have a cordial and respectful relationship.
- Death by Adaptation:
- Broly ends up being destroyed after a long battle with Beerus.
- Due to the multiple manipulations caused during the events of the story, Goku ends up killing Freeza at the end of the story.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Lemo is unaware of what happened to the Saiyans that worked with Freeza (Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta), thinking the same thing that killed Dodoria and Zarbon killed them too (which is technically the case, as Vegeta killed Nappa) and thinks a meteor destroyed Planet Vegeta.
- Super Soldier: Broly is one. In this interpretation, his power of a Great Ape in human form comes from a secret project led by King Vegeta. He developed it in secret, on remote worlds using only elite warriors capable of maintaining cognizant thought as a Great Ape.