Kogepan (translation: burnt bread) is a Japanese character from the company San-X.
After being burnt by a baker, a red bean bun gets depressed and tries to fit in with his fellow bread and the world as a whole.
A popular merchandise character, and star of a short animated series.
This series provides examples of:
- An Aesop: There are little life lessons scattered through the episodes, but thankfully they never get Anvilicious.
- Cheerful Children: The "Kirei-Pan" (pretty breads).
- Conspiracy Theorist: Sumi-Pan ("Charcoal Bread) has shades of this.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Kogepan.
- Drunk on Milk: Literally, for the breads. Coffee with milk is even stronger, and one glass of it gets Kogepan and Cream Pan utterly wasted (Sumipan however can drink it just fine).
- Grumpy Bear: Kogepan himself, though he is somewhat justified in it.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Kogepan and Cream Pan.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Underneath Kogepan's grumpy and abrasive exterior belies a soft center.
- Not What It Looks Like: After Kogepan tries and fails to make himself look nice with sprinkles and frosting, Cream Pan walks in on him, and the atmosphere immediately gets awkward.
- Pink Means Feminine: Strawberry Pan is pink and very feminine.