Starts off great, but starts to decay (manga only).
Like I said in the title, Bleach
starts of on the right foot, and keeps it going for a while. Unfortunately, it starts to lose steam as it goes on.
- Plot: In short, a teenage boy who can see ghosts gains the power of a Shinigami (from girl who is a shinigami) and uses it to fight Hollows, spirits of the dead who essentially became evil. Then the girl is taken to the afterlife by the other shinigami and put on death row. The boy and some friends invade the afterlife to rescue her.
- Content: Quite of bit of High Pressure Blood, but they're all technically dead already, so it doesn't matter. Also some occasion Ecchi fanservice, and a ton of Squick from Mayuri and Szayel.
- The good:
- A unique storyline, especially through first few arcs.
- Good characters, both in terms of characterization and interesting abilities that make for:
- Great fights. It's shonen, what did you expect?
- Humor. The earlier chapters have some great Lampshade Hanging moments, among other funny stuff. Especially the "AMAZING HEADBAND OF JUSTICE".
- Urahara. One of the best characters.
- Kenpachi. Another of the best characters.
- The Reveal of the Big Bad. The series probably hit its high point around here.
- The bad:
- Once the Soul Society arc concludes, the originality and quality of the story starts to fall. It's gradual, but not as good as the earlier sections.
- Cerebus Syndrome. Again, after Soul Society a lot of the humor disappears. Especially in Hueco Mundo. Also, Dondo and Pessche get really annoying after a while.
- Way too much Heroic Resolve. There are several times where Ichigo will lose a fight, do the Heroic Resolve thing, and become stronger for no apparent reason. Then later on, some sort of Asspull will be done to Ret Con it into the story.
- Asspulls. The reveal of the Big Bad was excellent, but ever since then, there have been a ton of reveals that serve no purpose other than to go "oh look a plot twist". Some of them are irrelevant to the plot and make no logical sense.
- Overall: Starts out excellent, but once Soul Society ends, starts to lose itself. It's gradual, but once you get into the current arc the decay is more obvious. It still isn't even close to being bad though, so it's still worth reading. I recommend looking at it.
23rd Apr 09
(edited by: Rogue 7)
I would have noted that too, but 1: I ran out of words, and 2: the main problem with the pacing isn't that it's spread over a lot of pages, but because we only get 20 pages or so a week. If you go back a few months worth and read the battles straight through, they're not that badly paced. It's just that you can't stretch a story over that many pages when you're only releasing them 20 at a time. It just doesn't fit the medium well.
24th Apr 09
26th Apr 09
It would be interesting if someone wrote an review on the anime, up to the most recent air date.
4th May 09
I'll probably get around to it eventually, when I don't have so college stuff to work on.
5th May 09
13th May 09
(edited by: CleverPun)
29th Jun 09
3rd Jul 09
6th Jul 09
6th Jul 09
(edited by: JapaneseTeeth)
Fully agree, especially with the last part. Bleach has gone from being awesome to being okay, but it's not even close to being a bad anime.
11th Jul 09
17th Jul 09
Kubo's no Alan Moore, cut him some slack.
22nd Jul 09
22nd Jul 09
I mostly agree with the review, but the omakes often provide humor after the Soul Society arc, which helps lighten things. As I mentioned in my review, the second part tries to recreate the first part without many of the elements that made it successful, which is why it isn't as good.
31st Jul 09
15th Feb 10
(edited by: Beta Ray)
I didn't mind the fights too much, mainly because at that point in the story, the plot itself is still novel enough that it's worth reading to find out what happens. It doesn't stand up to rereading that well, but I remember that the first time I read it I was engrossed enough that the pacing didn't bother me at all.
The problem at this point the fights are really all that the series has going for it, as the current plot isn't all that hot. With the fights moving so slow, the story as a whole is barely moving.
17th Feb 10
In order to post comments, you need to Get Known