- Bittersweet Ending: Dot makes it home in the end, but she is devastated at the sudden departure of the kangaroo. Dot even sobs as she cries out for the kangaroo to come back at the end credits roll. Also, the kangaroo doesn't find her joey. See Tear Jerker below.
- Nightmare Fuel: the bunyip song, the hunters.
- The goddamn crows near the beginning.
- Nostalgia Filter: The film hasn't aged well at all. The racist aboriginal stereotypes particularly stand out.
- Sequelitis: The film spawned many sequels, none as memorable as the original.
- Tear Jerker: The ending! Even if you don't cry, you can almost feel like you're going to cry.
- Anvilicious: The anti-racism moral of Dot in Space.
- Nightmare Retardant: The Bunyip turns out to be not nearly as scary as the first film made it out to be.