(full French title: Skyland, le nouveau monde
, i.e. Skyland, the new world
) is a Franco-Canadian CGI animated television series. The series lasted from November, 2005 to April, 2007. A total of 26 episodes in a single season.
It is the 23rd century; the Earth has shattered into billions of pieces which orbit around a central core. In this new world named Skyland, an evolved form of humans has appeared: Seijins, who are able to absorb energy from sunlight and use it to fuel special abilities such as telekinesis, telepathy, mental control, astral projection, energy balls/blasts and little electricity rays.
The Skyland is ruled by the Sphere, an organisation which controls the fragmented world's water supplies and maintains its power thanks to Guardians, promising Seijin children who have been taken away from their families and given a special training. This dictatorship is fought by pirates.
2451: After the capture of their mother by the Sphere, Mahad and Lena (a young Seijin still learning to control her powers) are rescued by a group of pirates. They join the pirate rebellion, determined to free their mother and help bring the Sphere down.Totally not inspired by Last Exile
- After the End: The world is "shattered into billions of pieces" after all, even if the pieces are inhabitable.
- Evil Twin: Oslo is Darius's (though it would be more accurate to say that Darius is Oslo's good twin, considering that he appears only in one episode)
- Failure Is the Only Option: The unchanging premise of the show is that the kids are trying to get their mother out of prison. Thus they cannot actually succeed at this task until the end of the series.
- Floating Continent: There is no solid ground anywhere. What holds the floating rocks up is never explained.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Deciding that Mahad needs a lesson in responsibility, Cortes leaves him in charge for the day, then fakes an attack by a fleet of Sphere ships. Unfortunately, this means Mahad refuses to believe him when a Sphere patroller really is on the way.