OVERCOMPENSATING: The Journal Comic With a Seething Disdain for Reality.
— Page Title
Hey. My name is Jeffrey Rowland and I am an actual dude. I used to live in Oklahoma but now I live in Northampton, Massachusetts. I got problems like everybody does. I got a few stories to tell you.Overcompensating Is the sometimes fiction other times auto-bio web-comic by Jeffrey Rowland. Rowland is also the creator of other web comics When I Grow Up and Wigu Adventures as well as the founder of TopatoCo, a t-shirt company specializing in selling web-comic based merchandise.The strips feature a collection of characters, some fictitious, some based on people Rowland knows in real life (quite a few are real web-comic creators), with the main character being an Author Avatar. The subject matter of a strip generally falls into the below subjects:
- What happened last night?
- A humorous take on whatever is in the news now.
- Some horrible fad that can't possibly be real, but is.
- Some horrible reality that all humans have to face despite the fact that it's so soul-crushingly horrible it's a wonder we all get out of bed each morning.
This comic provides examples of:
- Adorable Abomination: Joanna, a green undead cat, who is probably some sort of eldritch horror, but appears as a green kitty with a silly look on its face.
- All Animals Are Dogs: invoked in modified form by Weedmaster P in this strip.
- Alt Text
- Anthropomorphic Personification The G0D of Internet, a giant four armed catwoman who speaks in L 33 T.
- Art Evolution In the comic itself, also can be compared to When I Grow Up to REALLY see how far Rowland has progressed.
- Author Avatar
- Author Tract: Frequently, and without shame.
- Badass Native: Being half Cherokee, Jeffrey desperatly WANTS to be this, but in reality is little more than a drunken redneck.
- Catch Phrase: "Dickass", started by Weedmaster P, later copied by everyone else.
- Eldritch Abomination: Joanna is this. When Jeffrey rigs up a small camera to see wha she gets up to while everyone is out, the following recording is little more than a terrifying sequence of reality breaking down around her. Jeffrey proceeds to go to South America to find a witch doctor to dispose of the camera by means of an active volcano.
- She also at one point gave birth to an egg that hatched into one of these. You never see it on panel, but its tentacles can be seen slithering away.
- From Bad to Worse: This strip, done on purpose with
- Guest Strip
- God Makes frequent appearances as well as his son.
- God Is Evil Sort of, God and Jesus can be dicks at times. Also they both live in a trailer park for some reason.
- God Is Flawed: And he used to drink a lot, apparently.
- Gross-Up Close-Up- This stip
- Grotesque Cute - Butt-cats!!
- Her Code Name Was Mary Sue- Weedmaster P's Webcomic 
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Jeffrey goes out of his way to tear down this trope built around Christopher Columbus. Among other things, Columbus Day is celebrated by trying to keep Columbus spirit from returning, and his massacre of the American natives is constantly brought up.
- Ho Yay- A series of strips involving Vermont Pete's Abhorrent Admirer Weedmaster P 
- Hollywood Hacking - Whenever they need to do something computer-y, Jeffrey and team go into Hackers-mode, with 90s cyberpunk fashions, edgy nicknames, and hacker slogans hollered at the top of their lungs.
- Humans Are Bastards / Humans Are Stupid: Jeffrey's misanthropy tends to vary between these concepts.
- Libation for the Dead - Okay, so not a straight example, but there is a Jim Beam-drinking, undead cat from Hell.
- Life Embellished: The real Jeffrey presumably does not have an undead cat, frequently meet God and is the secret Inside President of the U.S.
- Mundane Fantastic - Topato, the flying, super-strong, made-out of poison, potatoes occasionally shows up from his home dimension to yell at Jeffrey.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - Part of reality had to be deleted to prevent ALL of reality collapsing. Happens in a cross-over with Wigu Adventures.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Joanna, originating from the Land of The Dead, has a somewhat... different idea of what is appealing.Jeffrey: I showed Joanna a picture of Slenderman and she screamed.Weedmaster P: Because he's scary!Jeffrey: No, like how girls used to [[Squee scream]] at them Beatles.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot - Robot Monkey Pirate Zombie Mummy Ninja Hobo Cowboy, "the greatest cartoon character in the history of Earth."
- Our Presidents Are Different: After the 2008 election, Jeffrey is elected as the secret "Inside President", the official who is in charge of actually coming up with new policies, a position that doesnt pay anything and is considered a civic duty. Obama is still elected as the face of the Presidency.
- Ramp Jump
- Refuge in Audacity
- Run for the Border - Choices are in short supply with almost any situation involving five gallons of ticks.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In a recent strip, Jeffrey finds a caterpillar in his teeth and promptly drives his truck off a cliff.
- The Stoner: Weedmaster P. Doy. He takes April 20th off, as he considers it 24 hours of Amateur Hour, and compares it to being Muhammed Ali on a day when everyone thinks they can punch out dudes as good as you.
- Strawman Political: Hoo boy.
- Take That The site frequently takes shots at society and politics, however this comic attacks neither but still hits Kid Rock, his fans, and Tim Buckley pretty hard.
- Take That Me: The Jeffrey seen in the comics is a far bigger loser than the real Jeffrey is, which is joked about in some strips.
- Team Pet: Joanna. She's actually an undead cat Jeffrey found during a trip to the Land of The Dead, and doesnt move much. Atleast when anyone is looking.
- Andrew Hussie's brief appearance lightly mocked his workaholicness and his tendency for animation that doesn't particularly add anything to a panel
- Time Travel: Weedmaster P owns a time machine which occasionally works itself into the plot.
- President Evil: During the Bush years, Bush and Cheney were portrayed as this through and through.
- With Friends Like These... - Weedmaster P.
- Why Did It Have to Be Spiders?: Understandable, as Jeffrey, both comic and the real one, got necrotis on his leg after getting bit by a brown recluse spider.