Webcomic / Hexagon Death Squad
Hexagon Death Squad
is an ongoing webcomic by the troper known as [AOD
]. Started in 2008, it stars a six-woman assassination squad and their adventures as they take out "criminals" for a totalitarian Police State
world government in an alternate timeline
Earth where the Cuban Missile Crisis led to a nuclear war.
The comic can be found here.
- Improbable Age (Mostly subverted in that most of the castmembers are 25 and older, with the exception of Kaycee who's really nineteen. No, really! She is!!)
- Improbable Weapon User (A major character in the Los Angeles arc uses bladed yo-yo's)
- Karma Houdini (Hexagon Death Squad is so unsubtle about their actions that they can only get away with it because the world is ruled by a Police State whose blessings they receive)
- Katanas Are Just Better (Subverted in Chapter 2 where Allison, the resident dual-katana wielder, is taken out in a fight without ever landing a blow)
- Kill Him Already!
- The Lancer (Allison Swayzee)
- Made of Iron (Subverted in Chapter 2 as Allison takes four arrows to her gut and is out of commission for the next three months as she recovers.)
- Male Gaze (This is very much a "guy's" comic. I mean, c'mon. Pretty girls with swords?)
- Martial Pacifist (Kaycee adopts an oath against killing because she just can't deal with it.
- Meganekko (Kaycee Bannon)
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours (Oh God yes.)
- New Neo City (Los Nuevos Angeles)
- Out of the Inferno (Coral does this after surviving a car crash while standing atop a humvee that EXPLODES. Oh, and did I mention that she just CHOPPED THE ROOF OPEN WITH A GIGANTIC SWORD?!)
- Panty Fighter (Subverted, as the HDS women - in general - tend to wear modest, functional clothing.)
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette (Coral, again.)
- Police State (willing to sacrifice a few hundred people to get a few "terrorists")
- Power Limiter (Subverted in Chapter 3, where Arundhati just flat out lies that she was fighting without holding back.
- Psychotic Smirk (Ohh yes Jenna indeed. Very much so.)
- Race Against the Clock
- Rain of Arrows (An early villain uses a '''Machine-Gun''' Crossbow to achieve this)
- A Real Man Is a Killer
- Red Oni, Blue Oni (Allison and Coral)
- Rule of Cool (The comic practically runs on this trope)
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- Schizo Tech (The universal gun ban allows swords in a modern setting, though they're generally made of space-age materials)
- Shout-Out (Too numerous to count)
- Slasher Smile (Both Ari Raj and Jenna)
- The Smart Guy (Kaycee is a cute lil' genius, she is.)
- The Stoic (Coral is either the Emotionless Girl or this.)
- Sword Fight (The world government of the comic was created just so as to justify having sword fights in a modern setting, with a global gun ban.)
- Took a Level in Badass (Kaycee does this after training for three months to perform a One-Hit-NOT-Kill fencing move.)
- 20 Minutes into the Future (HDS takes place in 2012, despite having nuclear-powered maglev trains.)
- Weapon of Choice
- Well-Intentioned Extremist (The main bad guys in the pilot arc are terrorists who support democracy.)
- In the same arc, the protagonists themselves, for the opposite reason.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters (Well, it's a Police State after all)