Webcomic / FlipZone
This is Quackor The Fowl
's action/comedy comic on Flipnote Hatena
for the DSi
, under the pseudonym "El Kabong
" and their first venture into uploading comics on the Internet. The main story is that a boy named EK
finds a magic stylus, which leads to an alternate universe known as FlipZone. He learns that Asis (a character of famous Flipnote animator BOSS) has taken over the world and entrapped his creator, BOSS, in an erased Flipnote. EK has been chosen by the stylus to save FlipZone from destruction, but he has to find the three original rulers of FlipZone: ShinyEevee, BOSS, and Philip; and he has to convince him to join his team of freedom fighters to defeat Asis once and for all.
The author being an avid reader of TV Tropes
, a lot of lampshades are hung
However, in order to fully read it (it's set at the highest speed for animation), you'll need to have a DSi. Here's part 1.
The author'll compile all of the Flipnotes into a single channel soon.
Tropes in FlipZone include:
- A Day in the Limelight: Parts 11 and 11.5 focus on only the OMG Resistance, with EK not making a single appearance, save for a small joke in a Previously On segment in 11.5. Part 14 focuses on Affably Evil Travis and Pa kidnapping Arian.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The magic stylus, powered by "raw creativity".
- Author Avatar: Due to the author's self-proclaimed complete lack of originality, the main character, EK, is the author in cartoon form. The author even admits this in the description for one part.
- Big Bad: Reo.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: A lot of the characters are gleefully aware that they're in a comic, and frequently show it.
EK: Wait, why are you telling me this backstory? Is this your shtick for every single new person that comes here?
: (looks at Fourth Wall
) I'm just telling you so the viewers at home can understand the plot.
EK: Oh. Continue.
- Butt Monkey: Sam. His look of sadness when seeing his BANANAPHONE mech is priceless.
- The Call: It seems that the finding of the stylus is one. We have yet to find out more, though.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Travis and Pa make Arian crack by playing...a record of nails on a chalkboard.
Travis: It's very popular at parties. You should hear the extended dance mix.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The blue and red magic styluses. The author even admits that this was on purpose.
- Context-Sensitive Button: Philip apparently keeps a button on his person that reads "Everyone Get In Here". It summons each of the other OMG Resistance members.
- The Chosen One: EK, as mentioned in the "ancient prophecy".
- Crowded Cast Shot
- The Danza: 90% of the cast. See Loads And Loads Of Cameos.
- Death by Cameo: J-Inc, winner of a guest comic contest, is killed by Reo's forces at the end of part 13.
J-Inc: Y'know, it's times like this where I seriously question as to why I decided to sign up for this job.
- Deus ex Machina: EK defeats Reo in their first fight by...drawing a shoe and throwing it at him.
- The Dog Bites Back: Reo successfully kills Asis by using the erasing powers of the stylus, which literally erases Asis' torso.
Asis: Reo...I trusted you...I thought you were my ally...
- DVD Commentary: The descriptions for each part fill up this role, giving the author's personal additions to the story, as well as inspirations and struggles that they had making the part.
- Funny Background Event: As KingK is talking with Foobenz about the magic stylus, EK is seen in the back, writhing in pain from his Groin Attack.
- Fun with Acronyms: The B.A.N.A.N.A.P.H.O.N.E. mechas, which stands for Bionically Adept; New And Now Able to Punish and Hurt Only Neverending Evil.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Marisa
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This little bit in Part 9 with OMG Man's informational tape:
OMG Man: And remember, any person who exits the LOFF will be flashed...
- This exchange in part 12, with KingK showing the characters the LOFF:
KingK: And this is...the strip...cluuuuu...how old are you again?
You're too young. MOVING ON!
- The fact that you can see the sounds "UN-TSS UN-TSS UNTSS" doesn't help matters. It was probably the first joke that the author thought would get them reported. So far, they haven't.
- Genki Girl: In "storyboards", ShinyEevee seems to be equal parts this and Cloudcuckoolander.
ShinyEevee: OH MY GOD I CAN'T FIND THE COPIER
Phoenix: It's in the back, Eevee.
ShinyEevee: YOU'RE A LIFESAVER
- Groin Attack
- Half the Man He Used to Be: This happens to Asis at the end of part 11.5, after Reo uses the red stylus' eraser. As they're all technically drawings, there's no blood, but still.
- Humongous Mecha: The B.A.N.A.N.A.P.H.O.N.E. mechas owned by the OMG Resistance.
- Killed Off for Real: Asis in chapter 11.5, J-Inc, Jengofred and MusicDemon in chapter 13. Both were caused by Reo.
- Loads And Loads Of Cameos: This is probably the big part about the series: all of the characters and people in the series are actual Flipnote artists, or their creations. I even list all of the cameos in each part's description.
- Lampshade Hanging: One to a rather big Plot Hole:
EK: So this is the way you get to work every morning?
EK: ...How do you leave work?
KingK: Oh, I just take the elevator.
- La Résistance: The OMG Resistance, a group of 7,000 that sharply dropped down to 5, and are bent on stopping Asis' (and later Reo's) forces before he becomes too powerful. They later become allies with EK.
- Mary Sue: The author mentions in a description for one chapter how hard it is to avert this trope for EK.
- Meaningful Funeral: Part 12 begins with Asis' funeral, intercut with quotes from a newscast. In it, Kym, another character in BOSS' series, mournfully looks at Asis' funeral. She leaves a lone flower in his remembrance.
- Medium Blending: Each of the characters in the series is drawn in a different style, reflecting how the character is usually drawn by their actual creator.
- Mood Whiplash: Part 11.5 goes from a humorous sequence with the OMG Resistance and the B.A.N.A.N.A.P.H.O.N.E. mechas to Reo killing Asis using the red stylus.
- Mentioned by name in the description for part 12:
Wow, the beginning is...uncharacteristically dark for me. YAY, MOOD WHIPLASH.
- Never Say "Die": Averted: Reo's threat to Arian involves him planning her own execution.
- Part 11.5 has Reo killing Asis off. Part 12 directly begins with Asis' funeral.
- Overly Long Gag: Sam slowly, slowly falling down in Chapter 11's Crowded Cast Shot montage, which continues for 20 panels. And then the elevator gets stuck.
- Painting the Medium: In part 10, as EK has a Heroic B.S.O.D., the colors all suddenly go out, until it is nothing but line art, and the word balloons disappear. As EK regains faith, the color and shading slowly seeps back in.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Foobenz. She's a third of EK's height, and still manages to kick EK in the crotch.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Arian's response to EK's stylus staff is what the author's real life sister said about it at first.
- Rule of Three: The three original rulers of FlipZone, known as the Hatena Trifecta.
- Schedule Slip: It's been about two months and part 13 still hasn't been uploaded. It's gone to the point where a recurring joke on Hatena is that "if anyone calls EK a nerd, he delays FZ13 by another month."
- Lampshaded in the description of part 13, after finally being released:
"Finally, after two years(?) of waiting, FZ 13 is finally here!"
- Shout-Out: While the story is wholly original, the main idea is
stolen inspired from a show about a kid who is transported to a world full of chalk drawings.
- When Philip is first introduced, his picture is freeze-framed in the next panel with the subtitle "NEWCOMER: Philip".
- As EK goes into the OMG Chat, Eloc tells him, "TAKE...LUCK!"
- At the very end of part 6, EK says this:
EK: So I guess it's time...to end...(puts on sunglasses) in a draw.
(Cut to city skyline)
- In the description for Part 11.5, where Reo kills Asis:
- Also in part 11.5, Joe's comment to his mecha's weapon, a giant drill:
Joe: So, does that mean...
Joe: Yes! (fistpump)
- The first rule of the LOFF: Do not talk about the LOFF.
- "Alright, EK. This is where your extended marathons of Scooby-Doo will finally pay off."
- Philip's mecha has a shoop-da-woop cannon, powered by raw Weegee. Yes, it's even mentioned as such.
- While it's not mentioned outright, it's been mentioned that EK is wearing a Homestar Runner Star shirt.
- "I hope I'm interrupting something!"
- Many references to the actual Flipnote Hatena site, such as the castle where Gizmo lives being named Keeyotoh palace, after Kyoto, Japan, where the Hatena offices are housed, and the Aaron mountains, after the webmaster of the site.
- The Starscream: Reo
- Stealth Pun: The first big battle is between EK and Reo. Reo uses a sword, and EK uses a drawing of a giant stylus, known as his "Stylus Staff". EK wins the battle, proving that the pen is indeed mightier than the sword.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Travis and Pa are shaping up to be this.
- Unsound Effect: KER-SKILLET!
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Where did Eloc go after looking for EK?
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: The OMG Resistance's reaction to the Stylus Staff:
Arian: ...a stylus? Really?
Arian: But still, couldn't he have drawn, like, an eraser? Or a tank? Or a delete button?
- Wrench Wench: Marisa.
- Visual Pun: An annoying part of chatrooms on Hatena is that there is often lag whenever the site is having maintenence, which was dubbed "lag fog". A literal case of "lag fog" appears in the first fight between Reo and EK, with a gray cloud that periodically shows the words "Creating image..."