"But which is more entertaining: peaceful moments of happiness...or moments of conflict?"Deer Me
is a webcomic by Sheryl Schopfer, about three anthropomorphic animal roommates and their Slice of Life
experiences. The main cast consists of Viana Doesulen, the hotblooded masked doe working at a Bath & Body Works clone; Thomas Millwood, freelance artist and sane-ish resident; and Velvet Hairyson, a horse who’s desired by just about every male she meets. And that's just the beginning.
It was originally at Comic Genesis
, but can now be read at http://comic.deerme.net/
Deer Me provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: In one of the comics convention arcs, Wombat Wonder creator Jared Raul is revealed to be one of these towards Velvet, although Viana sets him straight. When he tries to get in touch with her again much later, Velvet sets him up with Rasha.
- Adorkable: Thomas, Jared, James, Sheryl, and even Viana all have their moments.
- Almost Kiss: Thomas and Viana in an early Ship Tease moment, that is cut short by Thomas rushing to meet his date.
- This occurs again in a 2013 strip where Viana and Thomas come close to kiss. But they are then interrupted by Viana's alarm clock, revealing that it was All Just a Dream much to Viana's annoyance.
- Ambiguously Gay: Viana's poodle employer Cory Carniche, especially when he tells Thomas, "Pity you're straight" (although he immediately covers it up). The creator later confirmed his orientation.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: To a degree between Viana and Thomas, due to Viana's general behavior and Thomas' tendency to antagonize her
- Berserk Button: Viana has several, but particular ones tend to be sexist jerks and calling her a "yobo". She's not fond of spiders, either.
- Bi the Way: It's revealed that before she became romantically involved with James, Blair had a crush on Velvet. James was also revealed to have had an attraction towards Jared, as well. Both have been confirmed to be bi.
- Big Ball of Violence: "CENSORED DUE TO EXTREME VIOLENCE"
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: From time to time, the webcomic shows the comedic life of the creator and her interactions with the characters. There are also times where the character acknowledge their fictional status.
- Bullying a Dragon: Thomas and Velvet are both well aware of what Viana will do to them if they antagonize her. Yet it never stops them. Same goes for the sexist jerkasses that antagonize her.
- Chick Magnet/Mr. Fanservice: Thomas gradually grew into this role as the series went on.
- Despite his lack of success with Velvet, Jared Raul later became one of sorts due to his fanbase and Adorkable mannerisms.
- Children Are a Waste: Viana quite emphatically does not want to have kids ever, in one strip giving her biological clock the Ring... Ring... CRUNCH! treatment.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: James can be this at times, given his eccentric artist persona.
- Comically Missing the Point: Velvet's reaction to a "fan" letter
- Crowd Song: Parodied with parents on the day the kids go back to school
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Anyone who challenges or confronts Viana will lose. There's a reason the local gym has a "Don't annoy the masked doe" rule.
- Dada Comics: Viana's favorite comic is Jared Raul's strip, "Wombat Wonder", concerning a wombat that doesn't do anything aside from maybe saying one word in the final panel. One strip is jokingly said to have jumped the shark when the wombat says the word "yobo", a word Viana doesn't take too kindly to hearing.
- Death Glare: Given her usual temperament, it is any surprise Viana is prone to these?
- Does Not Like Men: Viana was like this early in the strip due to the constant sexist jerkasses she dealt with before. Observe.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When Thomas loses his antlers, he tries to act in a stereotypically macho manner, from wearing a shirt reading "MANLY MAN" to declaring that he scratches himself in public.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: It varies, but it's generally played straight or subverted with Viana whose usual response to Jerk Ass (male) characters is to beat them up. At times, it's played as the punchline, such as in the Big Ball of Violence example above. Other times, the characters (usually Thomas, or even Velvet, proving she'll tackle women, too) openly criticize her for doing things like tying them in a pretzel knot.
- It's also shown that in the case of Thomas, he sometimes teases/antagonizes her because it's a way he can express his attraction to her (similar to the common saying about boys teasing a girl they like).
- Drives Like Crazy: Viana really does not like driving. Two strips showed that she sees the the driver's seat as a spiked torture device and the road as a narrow path threatened by falling rocks.
- Dude Magnet/Ms. Fanservice: Velvet attracts the attention of just about every secondary guy in the webcomic. It has been lampshaded at times, such as Viana having Velvet accompany her to the pool to ensure no overcrowding for a summer swim.
- Enfante Terrible: Viana's niece Jenni who appears for one story arc to terrorize Thomas and others. That is, before being victimized by Velvet who finds her adorable and dresses her up in lace, scaring the daylights out of her.
- Expressive Shirt: Thomas sometimes wears a smiley face shirt that reflects his mood
- Fangirl: For all of her usual hostility towards just about everyone, Viana is obsessed with Jared Raul, the creator and artist of Wombat Wonder, to the point of glomping him.
- Freudian Trio: Viana (Id), Thomas (Superego), and Velvet (Ego)
- Furry Confusion: There are non-anthropomorphic dogs in a work that also features canine cast members. Also, when Velvet attempts to pounce on her roommates, she notes that her failure at it is probably why horses aren't predators.
- Furry Reminder: In one Christmas strip, Viana and Thomas become deer in the headlights in regards to their brightly glowing Christmas tree. Velvet lampshades this with an Aside Glance.
- Green-Eyed Deer: From time to time, Thomas and Viana swap this role, such as Viana when Rasha pinched Thomas in the shower and Thomas when seeing Viana fawn over Wombat Wonder artist Jared Raul.
- Happily Married: Thondy and Woola Ramson, a sheep couple whose occasional displays of affections disgust Viana. This also definitely applies to James and Blair Keene.
- Hypocritical Humor: Particularly notable during the story arc where Viana and Thomas criticize Velvet for having an obsessive collection of shoes, only for Thomas to be revealed to have an equally obsessive collection of pens.
- Interspecies Romance: Played for Laughs with Velvet and her various dates, but played straight with James and Blaire Keene (a skunk and rabbit couple), and possibly Rasha Zwi and Jared Raul (a gazelle and wolf couple).
- Irony: Viana, who loathes typically girly stuff, works in a Bath & Body Works clone.
- Explored further in one strip
Rasha: It's weird comparing you to your roomates. Velvet is an advice columnist. Thomas is an artist. They don't generally deal with people face-to-face, but are social animals. You're the one who regularly deals with people in person, and you hate people.
Viana: They'd hate people, too, if they worked with the public face-to-face everyday.
- Jaw Drop: Thomas has a rather mournful one when he sees his antlers fall off.
- Jerkass: There's the otter who fights with Viana at the first comic convention shown in the webcomic. In his second appearance, all of the otter's dialogue consists of insults and criticisms toward everyone, resulting in him getting booted out by everyone who tries to offer him a ride.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Viana, as well as Velvet at times
- The Lad-ette: Viana to a point, considering her contempt for being made to appear girly and her tendency to fight and beat up others
- Magic Realism: The webcomic is a pretty mundane narrative for the most part. Then you get to the story arc with Viana's wicked niece who has a demon and magical powers.
- Nightmare Face: Some of Viana's angry faces can be this.
- Noodle Incident: In one strip, James panics and tells Blair to tell any cops that he doesn't "know anything about the shoe polish, rope, and the Jell-O statue of the mayor". As Blair's on the phone, Thomas mentions to her that he saw James on the news again.
- Only Sane Man: Thomas usually assumes this role out of the three main characters, but he too is Not So Above It All.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When Viana is unusually quiet and sullen rather than angry and confrontational during the "Viana is Mopey" arc, her friends start to worry.
- Punny Name: Several characters such as Viana Doesulen and her sheep friend Woola Ramson
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Viana has mastered the use of the "Doe Eyes" to the point that anyone else trying it on her will fail.
- Rage Against the Author: Here and there, Sheryl does something to agitate Viana (such as saying "yobo", or making Viana really girly in appearance) to the point of threatening her with bodily harm.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Viana gives an epic one towards the aforementioned Jerk Ass otter when he finally pushes her too far.
Viana: As for you, you irritating, whiny, obnoxious, annoying, overbearing, selfish, self-centered, arrogant, and rude jerk, start appreciating when people do you favors or get used to being left on the side of the road! And don't try to give me attitude! I have more attitude just deciding whether I want syrup or jam on my pancakes!
- Ring... Ring... CRUNCH: Parodied with Viana smashing an alarm clock reading "BIOLOGICAL CLOCK".
- Rousseau Was Right: Briefly explored
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Explored in one plot arc where Velvet and Rasha give Viana a makeover to make her attractive by their standards. Viana naturally isn't pleased but Thomas does find her more attractive. She later returns to her usual look and admits to Woola that she doesn't like the idea of Thomas finding her appealing only because she dresses a certain way.
- Shipper on Deck: Velvet tries every so often to be this for Thomas and Viana. This is lampshaded in one of the later "Dog Daze" plot arc strips when Velvet notes that not all of her matchmaking efforts have panned out, gesturing towards Thomas and Viana. She also later pairs Rasha with Jared Raul when he tries to rekindle with her once again. However, she later wonders if she should stop trying to take this role given Thomas and Viana's inability to achieve a Relationship Upgrade.
- Shout-Out: For a couple of strips, there are references to Sin City. The author briefly freaks out when her husband appears to be Kevin for a moment.
- Ten With A Two: Subverted and then defied, as even with beer goggles in effect, Aaron still finds Viana to be "kinda mean".
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Viana and Velvet respectively
- Ungrateful Bastard: The Jerk Ass otter chews out Thomas when the latter comes back after Viana left him at a rest stop, prompting Thomas to kick him out again. The process repeats itself when he travels with Jared Raul.
- UST: Thomas and Viana, without any foreseeable resolution
- Verbal Backspace: When Thomas announces he's moving out, Viana immediately rises and declares he can't leave because she needs him. Viana then realizes what she just said and hurriedly adds "toooo...offset the cost of rent here". Of course, Velvet observes this with a smirk.
- Visual Pun: On the webcomic's first anniversary, Viana says that they'll take the time to read fan letters and asks Velvet for the first one. Velvet produces a capital letter A with a fan blade.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Humorously discussed during the "Viana is Mopey" arc where Thomas and Velvet question if Viana not screaming and threatening them with violence is a bad thing. Ultimately though, she returns to her usual self.
- What Does He See in Her?: One had to wonder why Thomas ever dated Rasha, considering how much of a Jerkass she was towards him, and how little they had in common. Eventually, Thomas dumped her after getting fed up with her Jerkass tendencies.
- When She Smiles: Parodied on occasion with Viana, such as when she questions why Thomas wants to involve her in his hobbies rather than Rasha
- Will They or Won't They?: Viana and Thomas are in this situation throughout the webcomic. It's pretty clear the attraction is mutual, but each initially thinks the other isn't interested (or in the case of Thomas, fears that Viana would beat him up if he tried anything). The "Pouncing" story arc's conclusion really jabs at this, but nothing came of it.
- Woman Scorned: Remember how the local gym has a "Don't annoy the masked doe" rule?
- Yaoi Fangirl: Velvet once blackmails Viana into letting her pretty the doe up again by threatening to make her Wombat Wonder Slash Fic public knowledge. Schopfer also illustrated a non-canon picture of Thomas and Aaron making out for the Facebook Kiss-In, with Viana dreamily admiring the scene, whether it's real or just a fantasy.
- You Do Not Want To Know: Parodied with a "really terrible tree" that Thomas recalls from one of his family's Christmases that is always censored due to "excessive pathos" with reassurances that it's better not seen. Then it cuts to the creator's husband criticizing her for cheating the readers by not showing them this horrid tree. She shows him in a room we can't see, and he quickly agrees that she should not show anyone that tree.