Webcomic / Deep Dive Daredevils
Only the barest hint of the adventure to come!Deep Dive Daredevils
is a Diesel Punk Webcomic
about the USS Custer
and its' Badass Crew
. Set in The Thirties
, the comic follows the crew of the Custer
as they sail the seven seas, having one improbable adventure after another. Deep Dive Daredevils
is written by Matt Heistand, Evin Dempsey and Dan Fifield, with art by Danilo Guida and letters by Steven Finch (a.k.a. "Fonografiks").THE STORY SO FAR...
- Secret Of the Beaufort Sea: Joe rescues a man who was adrift on an ice floe. Little did he realize what danger this act of compassion would bring!
- The Cajun Caper: The Custer docks at New Orleans for supplies, only to find out that the "Big Easy" ain't so easy!
- Pitch Black Day: Our heroes accept a private charter from a mysterious young woman, "No Questions Asked". They soon discover that this was a bad idea—the hard way!
- End(s) Of the Earth(s): Recovering from the events of "Pitch Black Day", the crew takes shore leave on a tropical island. Alas, there's trouble brewing—not to mention an active volcano!
- Beyond Familiar Shores: The conflict with the "Giga-Reich" continues and escalates, and no-one can tell what will happen next!
Deep Dive Daredevils contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Abigail Singer.
- Appease the Volcano God: It looks pretty bad for Joe when High Minister Fajro Nadlo accuses him of stealing a sacred idol. The High Minister then announces that Joe is to be executed (without a trial or proof or anything like that).
- Back from the Dead: Dracula.
- Badass Preacher: Father O'Flaherty, as demonstrated by this page.
- Beach Episode: End(s) of the Earth(s).
- Big Bad: Dracula.
- Bigger Bad: Whoever Dracula was working with (until he double-crossed them), possibly Those Wacky Nazis.
- Big Damn Heroes: The crew of the Custer.
- The Captain: Captain J.W. Custer.
- Chekhov's Volcano: At the beginning of "End(s) of the Earth(s)", we see that the Custer has made port at a volcanic island. A few pages later, we start to hear a rumbling...
- Cool Sub: The USS Custer. Also, the CSS H.L. Hunley, which Custer also served on.
- Cool Ship: The Giga-Reich's giant submarine, the Behemoth, which can apparently travel to alternate dimensions.
- Creature-Hunter Organization: The Secret Intelligence Service, Department X (SISX, for short). Very similar to the BPRD in Hellboy (only with no demons, pyrokinetics, or Fish People on the roster).
- Cyborg: Captain Custer.
- Diesel Punk
- Evil Is Hammy: Dracula, with a Evil Laugh to boot.
- Eyepatch of Power: Joe and Cup both sport one, but only for looks.
- Face–Heel Turn: Doc, after being Mind Raped by Dracula. He gets better.
- A Father to His Men: Captain Custer, even though he is mostly The Unseen.
- The Heart/Tagalong Kid: Joe. Don't take him lightly; he's the First Mate.
- Heroic Sacrifice: McGinty.
- Hot Sub-on-Sub Action: The Custer tackles a Nazi U-Boat without too many problems; then the Giga-Reich's super-sub appears...
- Lady of Adventure: Abigail. Her real name is Amelia Upton, granddaughter of Sir Arthur Holmwood, Lord Godalming. Which technically makes her "Lady Godalming".
- Let's You and Him Fight: After he is captured by Dracula, Joe plays on Vampire-Doc's Chronic Backstabbing Disorder, which results in Abigail taking down Dracula and Doc returning to normal.
- Lost Technology: Some kind of weird tech was controlling the volcano and preventing an eruption. Doc was able to fix it, but not without taking another nasty shock. He found a dead body inside the crater—and it bears an eerie resemblence to himself...
- Mind Rape: Doc, by Dracula. Amelia Upton, in a much more sinister and permanent fashion, by SISX.
- Ocean Punk: Their adventures mostly take place in (or under) the sea.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Twitchy" (Petty Officer 3rd Class Branislov Twichovic), the resident Demolitions Expert.
- Origins Episode: The first chapter of "Beyond Familiar Shores" shows the origin of Captain Custer, plus his first fight with the "Giga-Reich" and the first time he met "Doc" McCarver. It all takes place over a few days during The American Civil War.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Dracula’s new minions, who are sort of a cross between vampires and the Creature from the Black Lagoon (they're basically Fish People). Even the Count has grown gills.
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: The "Were-whale" from "Secret of the Beaufort Sea".
- Poor Communication Kills: Abigail failed to mention that they were going after freaking underwater vampires.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Dracula UNDERWATER!
- Riding the Bomb: McGinty, prior to his Heroic Sacrifice.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Deveraux, who quits the Daredevils shortly after "Pitch Black Day". Unfortunately, his "retirement plan" will have dire consequences.
- Storming the Castle: Joe, McGinty, Cup and Abigail take a minisub and invade Dracula's Underwater City, “Subsylvania”.
- After the Daredevils defeat Dracula, they temporarily take over his former stronghold in order to raid it for supplies.
- Sub Story
- Super Doc: Dr. Eugene "Doc" McCarver, who is also an Omnidisciplinary Scientist. His specialties include (but are not limited to) emergency medicine, cybernetics, Lost Technology and Frickin' Laser Beams.
- Take Over the World: Dracula's plan during "Pitch Black Day". He was going to launch a ballistic missile whose warhead would blot out the sun, thus allowing his vampires to attack anywhere at any time.
- Team Pet: Cup, who is also a Handicapped Badass, since he only has three legs.
- That Man Is Dead: Doc, guilt-ridden and traumatized after the events of "Pitch Black Day", declares that he is done with adventuring for now, and just wants to take a break. It will be short-lived...
- Those Wacky Nazis: The "Giga-Reich", who launch a surprise attack on the Daredevils (presumably in retaliation for their actions during "Pitch Black Day"). Curiously, their flag features a triskelion, not the traditional swastika.
- Toplessness from the Back: Abigail gives us a little fanservice.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Abigail was last seen in Bombay, easily dodging SISX and presumed to be tracking down Jack the Ripper.
- Wretched Hive: New Orleans is portrayed as this.
- You Cloned Hitler!: The Council of the "Giga-Reich" is made up of a dozen "Hitlers", each from an alternate reality.