Webcomic / The Continentals
crisscrosses the literary genres of murder/mystery, action/adventure, historical drama, horror, science fiction, and steampunk, "The Continentals" by writer/creator Darryl Hughes and artist Monique MacNaughton, — both nominated for the "Rising Star" category for the Glyph Comic Awards and creators of the upcoming relaunch of the furry fantasy adventure CHEVALIER
— is a modern re-imagining of the classic 19th century Sherlock Holmes "who done it" murder mystery created for the 21st century comic fan.
The story begins in 1889. Barely a year after the mysterious Jack the Ripper's murderous rampage and equally mysterious disappearance, the city of Mansfordshire, England is shaken by a series of brutal "mangling" murders that plunge the city into an abyss of fear.
Investigating the case, Continental Operatives Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe and his partner the gender bending adventuress, Lady Fiona Fiziwigg, uncover the threads that bind the murderer, his victims, the highest echelons of society, it's lowest dregs, and even the police officers investigating the case in a tangled web of mystery, adventure, intrigue, and murder.
The Continentals provides examples of:
- Action Girl: The Adventuress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg. Nuff said.
- Alcoholic Parent: Reginald Abbeline, in the flashback as related by Dame Victoria.
- Ax-Crazy: The escaped mental patient known as The Mangler, the sinister and psychotic Mr. Qwist, hired man of the equally bent Dr. Daniel Abbeline.
- Bedlam House: Like a dark castle built on the sins of man, Timbre Dark Manor, asylum for the criminally insane, stands as a manmade monument to madness.
- By-the-Book Cop: Inspector Norfolk is the prime example of this.
- Cool Old Lady: Dame Victoria Ellesworth Poole is the coolest Gran'Mama in 19th century England.
- Cross Dresser: The adventress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg cross dresses and lives her life like a man.
- Domestic Abuse: After the final rejection by his family, Reggie goes out, gets drunk — and takes it out on his wife.
- Historical Webcomics: Speaks for itself.
- MIB: Continental Operative Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe and his gender bending partner the adventress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg work for a division of British Military Intelligence known only as The A.T.S.T.K.
- Nice Hat: Just about everyone in the cast.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Fiona seems to be one of these.
- Of Corset Hurts: Fiona and Evelynne Poole have a delightful snipefest on the "benefits" of lacing up.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Continental Operative Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe is a cultured, sophisticated, elegant gentleman and his gender bending partner the adventuress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg is a hot tempered, foul mouthed, do and say as I damned well please malcontent.
- Separate Scene Storytelling: Dame Victoria recounts the Abbeline family tragedy for her party guests. Never let a perfectly juicy scandal go to waste!
- Steam Punk: The genre of fiction representing the Victorian era (fashion, architecture, machinery, etc) that The Continentals is set in.
- Upper-Class Twit: Both Evelynne Poole and her older brother Clifford are prime examples. Evelynne can be described as the Paris Hilton of 19th century England.
- Urban Segregation: The divide between the haves on the Westend of the city of Mansfordshire and the have nots on it's rundown Eastend.