Daniel Groth: The main character and one vampire of the story.Daniel
is a horror webcomic
started in 2012, and is written and drawn by Sarah Nelson
, who has worked on other webcomics such as Vampire Phantasm
and Cwen's Quest
Set during The Great Depression
follows the story of Daniel Groth, who begins the story as a rather timid and insecure man who is a newly employed gravedigger. He seeks to finally tell his best and apparently only friend, Christine Lockwood, that he has been in love with her for some time. However, after the intervention of Christine's ex-boyfriend,
Wayne, Daniel's confidence is shaken and he decides not to tell her. He backs out of their plans to see a Fourth of July fireworks display and proceeds home after giving a gift to Christine.
Daniel mysteriously disappears right after this, and isn't heard from again for three months, when he returns to Christine's house in the middle of the night, noticeably changed in personality and appearance. It is quickly revealed that he has somehow become a vampire and much of the story is Daniel fighting against his unrelenting BloodLust
This comic provides examples of:
- Our Vampires Are Different: The type of vampire Daniel is seems to be a mix of classic myths and more obscure ones.
- Malicious Misnaming: Wayne gets Daniel's name wrong twice just to rile him up, referring to him as "David" and "Darwin".
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: Daniel throws a fit if he gets a look at himself in a mirror, apparently seeing something grotesque and terrifying.
- Not Himself: Daniel is only 'himself' in the first chapter of the comic.
- Film Noir: The look and 1930s setting alone are enough to give this comic a 'noir' vibe.
- Vampire Invitation: Kind of. While it seems Daniel can come and go as he pleases into any building, it's been suggested that he needed an invitation back into Christine's life, and said invitation is binding.
- Breakingand Bloodsucking: Daniel does this to an unfortunate couple.
- Jerk Ass: Wayne Gallagher.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Wayne Gallagher, though ex-boyfriend actually.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Wayne Gallagher once again.
- Took a Level in Badass: Daniel goes from insecure, stuttering, frail man to fearless vampire with super strength.
- Mind over Matter: Daniel seems to be able to move objects without touching them.
- Blood Lust: Daniel has a hard time ignoring his blood cravings.
- Life Drinker: Daniel doesn't drink blood to satisfy hunger but to "feel life".
- Came Back Wrong: Daniel.
- Damaged Soul: While it seems at times the old Daniel from chapter 1 still lingers, he himself says that it feels as if his soul is "rotting", so he may be on the verge of becoming soulless.
- Interrupted Declarationof Love: Daniel tries to tell Christine how he feels in chapter 1, but Christine's ex-boyfriend rudely interrupts the moment.
- Love Confession: Daniel manages to tell Christine he loves her later though.
- Gut Feeling: Francine's young daughter, Molly, seems to immediately be able to tell that something is off about Daniel after she sees him for the first time since vanishing.
- Cheerful Child: Molly Davis.
- House Wife: Francine Davis.
- Occult Detective: Leonard Davis is actually a regular detective, but he unintentionally becomes this when investigating a series of murders that seem to be the work of a vampire.
- Sanity Slippage: Daniel.
- Love Triangle: Daniel and Wayne both have a thing for Christine. However, Wayne is Christine's ex and she has made it clear she is no longer interested in him. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped Wayne from pursuing her and from hating Daniel with a passion.
- Was Once a Man: Daniel was a once a normal man...-three months ago- to be exact.
- Nightmare Sequence: Christine has two nightmares about Daniel that we see. However, Francine and Molly prove that Daniel is literally walking Nightmare Fuel after interacting with him.
- Warm Bloodbags Are Everywhere: Daniel basically wants to drink the blood of every person he's near.