Webcomic: Damsels Don't Wear Glasses
Damsels Don’t Wear Glasses is an action/urban fantasy series about a tough, dry-humored woman named Lave Faraday who is tasked with putting away errant sorcery and horrors from beyond the grave. Used to the weirdness of the supernatural, she apprehends her targets with a brash, casual attitude and faces down monsters and zombies without flinching. All in a day’s work, right?
Damsels Don't Wear Glasses contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Lave deals with zombies by running them through with her sword, throwing them off a wall, and simply bashing them together.
- Blind Without 'Em: Our heroine is near-sighted. Not that it will stop her from fighting with a bunch of blurry figures.
- Bare Your Midriff: Lave's not too shy about walking around in a sports bra.
- Black Magic: In chapter one, Kest attempts to use black magic (necromancy, specifically), which backfires on him considerably.
- Curse Cut Short:Kest: This is basically all your fault, you crazy bit—
- Deadpan Snarker: Lave certainly has no trouble mocking her subjects even as she’s apprehending them.
- Demonic Possession: Kest ends up falling victim to this at the end of chapter 1.
- Dropped Glasses: As early as the first chapter. It's hard to fight with glasses without them getting knocked off of your face once in a while.
- Establishing Character Moment: Lave makes her debut saving a goat from being sacrificed, and casually greeting the guy she’s stopping, while petting the goat.
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: Just one of the paranormal beings present here.
- Extreme Omni Goat: The sacrificial goat escapes by eating its leash.
- Fiery Red Head: Lave: red-haired, combative daredevil.
- Hermetic Magic: Kest's spell requires a magic circle, candles, an orb, a spellbook, a skull, a knife, a goat, and enough time that his audience gets bored.
- I Have the High Ground: Lave often perches atop trees, walls, posts, or a telephone pole.
- In Harm's Way: Lave enjoys danger. Kest does not.Lave: Pretty exciting night we're having, huh?
Kest: Exciting? EXCITING?
- Insistent Terminology: Kest would like the audience to remember that he isn't in a cult, it’s an order.
- Instant Runes: Appearing on the bodies of the undead.
- It Tastes Like Feet:Kest: This tastes like carbonated nail polish.
- Never Trust a Title: Lave does wear glasses.
- Pet The Goat: Lave is abrasive to humans, but not to the goat.
- Power Crystal: Kest's magical orb apparently stores some sort of magical energy.
- Power Glows: Necromancy glows green.
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: Unfortunately for Kest, in chapter 1 this is subverted, and the undead spirit possessing what was previously thought to be your run-of-the-mill zombie keeps on going without a physical head. Even Lave is shocked by this.
- Rise from Your Grave: Zombies erupt from the cemetery in the classic manner.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The rest of the cultists book it when things go wrong.
- Sickly Green Glow: Indicating black magic is at work here.
- Zombie Infectee: Kest develops a suspicious green filigree after being bitten.