Web Video: Play It Bogart
PlayItBogart (known as IndianaBelmont
) is a game reviewer that spawned shortly after The Angry Video Game Nerd
hits the scene for game review. PiB, for short
, has started off with his Hydlide
review, along with a couple of other videos, where it was more of a vlog rant for half the video. Then he'd later hit big with his Rollergames review (as quoted above) as an angry reviewer. He has later made attempts to be much less and less angry and reduce the amount of swearing and has at times been extra creative in his reviews, just as his Track And Field II
and Metal Gear
reviews. He has also made several different videos mostly for laughs.
PiB has made quite an impact as an underdog game reviewer to the point of having his reviews archived after his youtube channel was closed
. Speaking of which, after his channel got closed over a parody video
(game play of GTAIV
had something to do with it), he would move onto Revver for a short time, having reedited some of his reviews to fit the fifteen minute format, before that website later went under. PiB has returned to youtube under the youtube name IndianaBelmont
and reuploaded some of his videos (though in some cases, not the original versions)
and seems to be here to stay this time.
PiB happens to be an American Football
fan, to the point of owning lots of different football games, including those by EA Sports and 2K Games. He even did a review of the NES football games during the 2007 Super Bowl
.You may access his youtube page here.
Games he had reviewed or discussed
- All There in the Manual: Poked fun at, particularly on his Snake's Revenge review: "If you listen to the game's plot, you're taking on Big Boss. Listen to the game manual, you're taking on some guy named Higharolla Kockamamie. I am not making this up. [...] This is the gaming equivalent of opening up your copy of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and finding the manual to Sneak King."
- The entire intro to his review of Metal Gear for the NES is this, only lampshaded later on.
- Also makes mention of a small sample of the plot behind Roller Games.
"Know why these guys are trying to rescue the owner? Because the CIA and the FBI apparently they suck! LOOK AT THE PLOT! I'M NOT KIDDING!"
- Artificial Stupidity: The second match of Rise of the Robots started off with the opponent literally backing up to a corner to get kicked to death. This can be argued as it may have been deliberately programmed as the opponent attempted "turtling", but this has not been confirmed. See The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard below for more info.
"Ok, what the fuck, he started the match by backing up to a corner, I didn't even need to kick him there." -Second opponent of Rise of the Robots
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: PiB had witnessed a good amount of these, notably the games by Ultra Games.
"The owner has been kidnapped the owner of what?! Only the three good teams can rescue him because that's all they're capable of, I hate bad English!"
- Cuckoolander Commentator: Plays with this in his 'review' of Track and Field 2.
- Curse Cut Short: Usually results in either technical difficulties, Intermission, or credits popping in.
"This game is a load of bullsh-!" *Credits*
- Fast-Forward Gag: Done twice for Star Voyager, with music accommodating both. Once for searching different planets for a power-up. Another for getting the game genie set up. both ended in dying in the space battles.
- Done twice again for Star Trek V, also with music. Once for stage 2 where Scotty is collecting bombs to rescue the crew of the enterprise. Again for stage 3 where the space battle occurs.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: In a couple of instances, he's attempted to avoid going out on cursing a lot. Especially in his review of Metal Gear. To be fair, that example was due to that being hosted on a Metal Gear Solid fan site.
- Hard Levels, Easy Bosses: Makes a comment on this in his Rollergames review. Could also technically apply to Rise of the Robots.
"Hard as nails [levels], super easy boss. Seems a little unbalanced, don't you think?"
- "I Know Kung Fu"
"For the last time, no you don't!"
- Let's Play: Although not intended as one, he has played Resident Evil Outbreak on the day before the servers would go offline. When he reuploaded the video, he used annotations to comment over the game (though you do have the option to turn them off if you prefer).
- Lost Forever / Keep Circulating the Tapes: Some of PiB's videos, or what remained of them, would wound up on other youtube channels following his channel closure and lack of any response from him over youtube. PiB eventually came back to youtube to reupload his reedited videos among others.
- Unfortunately, the original edits of said videos (containing the well-made intro and ending sequences) seem to be no where to be found.
- Montage: Subverted. PiB attempts to initiate one on Resurrection: Rise 2, only to receive a Windows-style error message.
- Old Shame: Possibly, after Pi B reuploaded his review of Godzilla: Monster of Monsters for the NES, he admits to actually liking the first game and mentioned that he felt like an ass at the time.
- Porting Disaster: After showing footage of Rise of the Robots for the Sega Genesis, he mentioned that Genesis ports of different games will always be inferior, unless your name is Mortal Kombat. This is immediately followed by an immediate disclaimer saying that he loves the Genesis, just doesn't like the games that weren't made with Genesis hardware in mind.
- Screwed By Youtube: A couple of Grand Theft Auto IV parody videos were what did in his old Play It Bogart account, and effectively nailed in his long hiatus from the website. He had since reedited some of his reviews to fit a 15-minute time limit for being released on Revver, which died in 2011. PiB did come back to reupload those reedited videos on youtube.
- Shout-Out: "Rambo 4, John Rambo, Rambo First Blood Part IV, Rambo Second Blood Par- You know, someone already did this schtick."
- Temporary Scrappy: Liquid Bogart makes an appearance in the Rise of the Robots video. He doesn't last very long.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: For Star Voyager on the NES. Despite having a power up, he didn't stand a chance against the enemies. He then utilizes the game genie which hasn't made things any better.
"If the game genie can't beat it, no one can."
- The Problem with Licensed Games: Tries not to invoke this trope during his review of the unreleased Star Trek V for the NES. He makes it clear that the game probably sucks only because the movie sucked too.
- Defied in his Top Gun: The Second Mission review, to the point of doing a whole walkthrough of the game.
- A weird case with Rambo to him, considering that Acclaim had the whole FOUR YEARS since Rambo: First Blood Part II's release to make this game and make it right.
*Upon seeing the line "What will you do now, John?", "Day by day"* "[...]...HOW DO YOU FUCK
- This Is Gonna Suck: If the introduction to his Rollergames review isn't enough of an indication, this line will do you in: "I like to call [Roller Games] the bullshit game. You'll see why in a moment."
- Vapor Ware: Star Trek V for the NES. PiB believes that is probably due to either the movie sucks, the game sucks, or some infinite time-loop that leads to the destruction of the bandai headquarters.
- Violation of Common Sense: Stage 4 of Star Trek V is based on a scene from the movie where Captain Kirk has to escape back to the Enterprise. Whenever he loses in this stage, he'll be beamed back to the Enterprise, then back down to the planet he was trying to escape from.
"You can't, send me, back, down, there. Remember, your, hippo-, -ottomus oath!"
- Invoked in Metal Gear for the NES where PiB got to the super computer but cannot destroy it. He then recalls not defeating all the bosses and rescuing key characters prior, leading him to ponder:
"The people who made this game were stupid enough to let you bypass most of it, but they were smart enough to put safe guards in place to stop you from beating it?"
- Visual Pun: Goes all out on the Rise of the Robots promotional video.
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: Did this a couple of times total in his angry reviews. Especially on Rollergames.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: "Oy, you'd be surprised."