Web Video / Andrew Klavan On The Culture
Andrew Klavan on the Culture
, or more shortly known as Klavan on the Culture
is a series of short video clips by the internet TV channel PJTV.com starring (you guessed it)
the conservative writer and commentator Andrew Klavan. The videos had Klavan as a commentator on the video poking fun at liberals by either outright showing the flaws in their arguments or sometimes through Stealth Parody
. Klavan's topic of rants tend to varies from high taxes, religion, political figures, and many more.Has nothing to do
with the science fiction novel series by Iain M. Banks: The Culture
Tropes on these videos:
- Bait-and-Switch Comparison: A variation was done when he was comparing Barack Obama to Jesus:
Klavan: There are important similarities between our dear saviour and Jesus.
- Chewbacca Defense: Discussed here.
- Cool Old Guy: Andrew keeps himself well-up on pop culture (apropos for a show such as this), and a major theme of his work involves the link between entertainment and politics.
- Deadpan Snarker: Andrew Klavan himself.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Sometimes one way the videos drive home a political aesop is through a metaphor.
- Dramatic Thunder: When Klavan said "Hooray for Satan." It Makes Sense in Context.
- Hollywood History: Complained about it and its effects, here.
- Hypocritical Humor: In the "Fun with Anti-Semitism" video which criticizes anti-semitism, Klavan made an "anti-semitic" comment and had a horn sounded on him.
- Mind Screw: Intentionally invoked in this video.
- Old Media Are Evil: Many of the videos criticize the mainstream media.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: A common theme in the videos.
- Religion of Evil: Satanism.
Klavan: Satanism, after all, is the religion of peace.
Klavan: Okay, maybe it's the religion of unspeakable evil.
- Shout-Out: Klavan made some reference to films, comic books and video games in the videos. Appropriate, as he is also well-known for his successful screenplays (like True Crime) and his novels adapted into movies (like Don't Say a Word and A Shock To The System).
- Speaking Simlish: Done in one when Andrew Klavan is trying to make sense of a liberal argument.
- Stealth Parody: Some of the videos are this.
- Title Drop: "Hi, this is Andrew Klavan on the Culture."
- Zombie Apocalypse: Parodied. "It's the night, of the living government!"