OVERCOMPENSATING: The Journal Comic With a Seething Disdain for Reality.
— Page Title
Hey. My name is Jeffrey Rowland and I am an actual dude. I used to live in Oklahoma but now I live in Northampton, Massachusetts. I got problems like everybody does. I got a few stories to tell you.Overcompensating Is the sometimes fiction other times auto-bio web-comic by Jeffrey Rowland. Rowland is also the creator of other web comics When I Grow Up and Wigu Adventures as well as the founder of TopatoCo, a t-shirt company specializing in selling web-comic based merchandise.The strips feature a collection of characters, some fictitious, some based on people Rowland knows in real life (quite a few are real web-comic creators), with the main character being an Author Avatar. The subject matter of a strip generally falls into the below subjects:
- What happened last night?
- A humorous take on whatever is in the news now.
- Some horrible fad that can't possibly be real, but is.
- Some horrible reality that all humans have to face despite the fact that it's so soul-crushingly horrible it's a wonder we all get out of bed each morning.
This comic provides examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs: invoked in modified form by Weedmaster P in this strip.
- Alt Text
- Anthropomorphic Personification The G0D of Internet, a giant four armed catwoman who speaks in L 33 T.
- Art Evolution In the comic itself, also can be compared to When I Grow Up to REALLY see how far Rowland has progressed.
- Author Avatar
- Author Tract: Frequently, and without shame.
- Catch Phrase: "Dickass", started by Weedmaster P, later copied by everyone else.
- Eldritch Abomination: Joanna is this. When Jeffrey rigs up a small camera to see wha she gets up to while everyone is out, the following recording is little more than a terrifying sequence of reality breaking down around her. Jeffrey proceeds to go to South America to find a witch doctor to dispose of the camera by means of an active volcano.
- She also at one point gave birth to an egg that hatched into one of these. You never see it on panel, but its tentacles can be seen slithering away.
- From Bad to Worse: This strip, done on purpose with
- Guest Strip
- God Makes frequent appearances as well as his son.
- God Is Evil Sort of, God and Jesus can be dicks at times. Also they both live in a trailer park for some reason.
- God Is Flawed: And he used to drink a lot, apparently.
- Gross-Up Close-Up- This stip
- Grotesque Cute - Butt-cats!!
- Her Code Name Was Mary Sue- Weedmaster P's Webcomic 
- Ho Yay- A series of strips involving Vermont Pete's Abhorrent Admirer Weedmaster P 
- Hollywood Hacking - Whenever they need to do something computer-y, Jeffrey and team go into Hackers-mode, with 90s cyberpunk fashions, edgy nicknames, and hacker slogans hollered at the top of their lungs.
- Humans Are Bastards / Humans Are Stupid: Jeffrey's misanthropy tends to vary between these concepts.
- Libation for the Dead - Okay, so not a straight example, but there is a Jim Beam-drinking, undead cat from Hell.
- Life Embellished: The real Jeffrey presumably does not have an undead cat, frequently meet God and is the secret Inside President of the U.S.
- Mundane Fantastic - Topato, the flying, super-strong, made-out of poison, potatoes occasionally shows up from his home dimension to yell at Jeffrey.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - Part of reality had to be deleted to prevent ALL of reality collapsing. Happens in a cross-over with Wigu Adventures.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot - Robot Monkey Pirate Zombie Mummy Ninja Hobo Cowboy, "the greatest cartoon character in the history of Earth."
- Ramp Jump
- Refuge in Audacity
- Run for the Border - Choices are in short supply with almost any situation involving five gallons of ticks.
- Strawman Political: Hoo boy.
- Take That The site frequently takes shots at society and politics, however this comic attacks neither but still hits Kid Rock, his fans, and Tim Buckley pretty hard.
- Team Pet: Joanna. She's actually an undead cat Jeffrey found during a trip to the Land of The Dead, and doesnt move much. Atleast when anyone is looking.
- Andrew Hussie's brief appearance lightly mocked his workaholicness and his tendency for animation that doesn't particularly add anything to a panel
- With Friends Like These... - Weedmaster P.
- Why Did It Have to Be Spiders?: Understandable, as Jeffrey, both comic and the real one, got necrotis on his leg after getting bit by a brown recluse spider.