OVERCOMPENSATING: The Journal Comic With a Seething Disdain for Reality.
— Page Title
Hey. My name is Jeffrey Rowland and I am an actual dude. I used to live in Oklahoma but now I live in Northampton, Massachusetts. I got problems like everybody does. I got a few stories to tell you.Overcompensating
Is the sometimes fiction other times auto-bio web-comic by Jeffrey Rowland. Rowland is also the creator of other web comics When I Grow Up
and Wigu Adventures
as well as the founder of TopatoCo
, a t-shirt company specializing in selling web-comic based merchandise.
The strips feature a collection of characters, some fictitious, some based on people Rowland knows in real life (quite a few are real web-comic creators), with the main character being an Author Avatar
. The subject matter of a strip generally falls into the below subjects:
- What happened last night?
- A humorous take on whatever is in the news now.
- Some horrible fad that can't possibly be real, but is.
- Some horrible reality that all humans have to face despite the fact that it's so soul-crushingly horrible it's a wonder we all get out of bed each morning.
If you came here for the other
type of overcompensating, the page you want is Compensating for Something
This comic provides examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs: invoked in modified form by Weedmaster P in this strip.
- Alt Text
- Anthropomorphic Personification The G0D of Internet.
- Art Evolution In the comic itself, also can be compared to When I Grow Up to REALLY see how far Rowland has progressed.
- Author Avatar
- Author Tract: Frequently, and without shame.
- Catch Phrase: "Dickass", started by Weedmaster P, later copied by everyone else.
- From Bad to Worse: This strip, done on purpose with
hilarious horrible results.
- Guest Strip
- God Makes frequent appearances as well as his son.
- God Is Evil Sort of, God and Jesus can be dicks at times. Also they both live in a trailer park for some reason.
- Gross-Up Close-Up- This stip
- Grotesque Cute - Butt-cats!!
- Her Code Name Was Mary Sue- Weedmaster P's Webcomic 
- Ho Yay- A series of strips involving Vermont Pete's Abhorrent Admirer Weedmaster P 
- Hollywood Hacking - Whenever they need to do something computer-y, Jeffrey and team go into Hackers-mode, with 90s cyberpunk fashions, edgy nicknames, and hacker slogans hollered at the top of their lungs.
- Libation for the Dead - Okay, so not a straight example, but there is a Jim Beam-drinking, undead cat from Hell.
- Life Embellished
- Mundane Fantastic - Topato, the flying, super-strong, made-out of poison, potatoes occasionally shows up from his home dimension to yell at Jeffrey.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - Part of reality had to be deleted to prevent ALL of reality collapsing. Happens in a cross-over with Wigu Adventures.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot - Robot Monkey Pirate Zombie Mummy Ninja Hobo Cowboy, "the greatest cartoon character in the history of Earth."
- Ramp Jump
- Refuge in Audacity
- Run for the Border - Choices are in short supply with almost any situation involving five gallons of ticks.
- Strawman Political: Hoo boy.
- Take That The site frequently takes shots at society and politics, however this comic attacks neither but still hits Kid Rock, his fans, and Tim Buckley pretty hard.
- Andrew Hussie's brief appearance lightly mocked his workaholicness and his tendency for animation that doesn't particularly add anything to a panel
- With Friends Like These... - Weedmaster P.