Way Walkers University is a Choose Your Own Adventure
game, written by J. Leigh and hosted by Choice of Games
It is set in an alternate after Earth. In this new world filled with varying magics and races the player will take on the role of a young exemplary talent, a person who is gifted with powers and is able to become a full Way Walker - A talent who dedicates themselves to one of twelve different paths available. However, before the player can become a hardened battle-mage or a deft-handed assassin, they must refine their skills at Tar'citadel, the holy city of Ice and Light. The gem of the city is the University, where the main setting takes place, a place filled with prospective students and troubles of all kind; Including a powerful mage which grips the whole city in fear and hatred.
The free demo for the first game can be played here
. The demo for the second game is here
The games can be purchased from the iTunes Store
, the Chrome Web Store
, and the Android Market
. The first game is also available on Kindle
. The series has a main website
and Facebook page
. There are forum threads for the first game
, the second game
, and the upcoming third installment
open/close all folders
The series as a whole
Both existing games have examples of the following:
Way Walkers: University
The first game has examples of the following:
- Animal Eye Spy: It's mentioned that the Nor'wah Protagonist could do this, eventually losing themselves to a bestial state of mind the more they did it.
- Back from the Dead: It's possible for the Protagonist to be resurrected if they die during the course of the game.
- Bad Dreams/Dream Spying: The protagonist had very vivid dreams about war, death, and Red worship...
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The ice wraith is almost guaranteed to one-shot the PC, since no newly-trained fourteen-year-old has a chance against one of the most powerful demons in the world.
- Disc One Final Boss: If you go with Sem to visit Illyan, then the ice wraith will serve as the final boss battle...for a certain definition of battle. Averted in all other "endings", though.
- Kangaroo Court: It's heavily implied that this is being done to Illyan.
- A Minor Kidroduction: The beginning of the game has a short introduction flashback providing backstory for the Protagonist as a child and how they discovered that they were an Exemplary Talent. It then continues with the 14 year old Protagonist in the present trying to impress two panels of judges.
- Mirror Monster: It's mentioned that the Lubreean Protagonist could see lights, shadows and eerie specters inside of mirrors that no one else could see.
Way Walkers: University 2
The second game has examples of the following:
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: If you go with Jun to his appointment with Lady Xeni she can send you into Jun's mind to try and deal with his evil past self.
- Dances and Balls: The Winter Ball.
- Despair Event Horizon: In one of the 'bad ends' of the second game, where Illyan is sentenced and executed. This causes Sem's behavior to change drastically, leading to him dropping out of Tar'citadel completely.
- Enemy Within: Jun's evil past self that he's been struggling with since he was younger.
- I Think You Broke Him: In the second game, the MC or Jun does this to Cael accidentally
- Handicapped Badass: The MC can be this if you specialize in Rosin, Kubesh, or Rhean and died in the first game especially if you manage to defeat Clay or kill Sem
- Relationship Upgrade: The MC can start dating Sem or one of their friends from their club.