Videogame: The Game
(AKA ruining your life.)
TROPING :the game:
AKA Add examples here:
- Author Tract: Occasionally, notably Toy Story 3.
- Auto-Tune: Parodied with Kesha before she fuses with the smoke monster.
- Background Boss: The final boss of Reimagining.
- Cut-and-Paste Environments: Deconstructed. Subverted in Reimagine.
- Double Jump: Or rather, "Double Rainbow Double Jump", with YosemiteBear and Katy Perry.
- Eldritch Abomination: The final boss.
- Every Episode Ending: Every episode ends with big red text and small white text.
- Eyed Screen: Present in the first game's "Shooting Lawyers in the Face".
- The Faceless: Everyone (except when they need to talk or emote).
- Final Exam Boss: Reimagining.
- Gorn: The very intro of the first game puts this on full throttle by depicting a violent fight scene between a group of green characters (which don't actually appear in-game)... for a few seconds, just to be paused.
- The "Gun Control" level in Replaying is full of this; especially at the second-to-last enemy, whose head literally explodes and unleashes a massive blood fountain after killing him with a very long streak of bullet hits.
- "Apocalypse 2012" from the same game: every death releases several organs, which just float around.
- While the characters and their deaths are much more cartoonish in Reimagine, this one is still present; death on various platformer levels (usually achieved by touching the Unicorn Horns of Doom) causes characters to violently bleed. The blood is affected by gravity, and colors unicorn horns red.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every level is called "[Insert Subject Here] :the game:" AKA [insert witty comment here]. The third game drops the AKA part of the titles.
- Mayan Doomsday: The "Apocalypse 2012" level in Replaying, specifically using Planet X as the cause.
- Ragequit: Sarah Palin does this in Replaying.
- Rick Roll: One of many memetic songs featured in Epicroll :the cutscene:.
- Send in the Clones: After unlocking all of the achievements, you can not only fully customize a character, you are also granted the option to replace every character in the game with that particular one.
- Screamer Prank: The "Supernatural Claims" level in the first game. It's basically a Flash animation of Pac-Man contemplating the purpose of his presence in the maze, and what it stands for.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In the level "Pacifism". Just about to fall off-screen, the character suddenly stops in mid-air and starts a to point out that after 37 deaths the game gets pretty stupid and gets fed up with everything, promptly leaving.
- Shout-Out: Plenty, some of which are more subtle than others.
- Spikes of Doom: Represented herein by unicorn horns, their unusual appearance is lampshaded by the Hippie. Partially justified, as "Rainbows" is the first level these appear in.
- Unicorn horns everywhere!
- Stylistic Suck: Some levels in :replaying: bring up how the creator is running out of ideas.
- Webcomic Of The Game: Faceless & Hopping.