Webcomic of the Game
A subtrope of Twice Told Tale
and a subgenre of Fan Web Comics
: these comics play out the plot of their chosen games, from start to finish. Some comics hold closer to the original storyline than others. Liberties may be taken - via Alternate Character Interpretation
, inclusion of original characters, and embellishment (if not outright Retconning
) of plot points - the essential plot and major elements remain the same.
Such comics often take the form of an Affectionate Parody
Examples (In Alphabetical Order)
- Bob and George follows the story of the 8-bit Mega Man games... mostly.
- Also of note, the comic was supposed to be about something completely different, had the Megaman filler had not been so popular and the writer's drawing skills not be so poor.
- Many of its subcomics also use this trope, including as MS Paint Masterpieces, which also follows the plot of the 8-bit Mega Man games. So far only the first games are completed.
- The Chosen Four for EarthBound.
- Concerned - followed the plot of Half-Life 2 as Gordon Freeman unknowingly follows in Gordon Frohman's wake. Frohman is the main character.
- 8-Bit Theater (possibly the Trope Codifier) loosely told the story of the original Final Fantasy I.
- Which was supposed to be a bunch of one-off comics of several 8-bit games, a la VG Cats or Awkward Zombie, but ended up as an FF 1 parody in the end.
- FF6 Comic for Final Fantasy VI.
- Final Fantasy VII: The Sevening for Final Fantasy VII
- Five Kids at Freddy's for Five Nights at Freddy's 2
- Dream About Me for the Gray/Popuri thread of Harvest Moon 64
- The Last Days of FOXHOUND starts out telling the immediate backstory of Metal Gear Solid from the villains' perspective, but sprawls out into the rest of the series, and lampshades almost all the significant plot and gameplay elements of the games along the way. The events of Metal Gear Solid are shown in a deliberately anticlimactic single strip.
- The Legend of Maxx for Terraria
- Persona 3 FTW for Persona 3.
- Planet Zebeth does not actually cover the events of Metroid, but it does have an arc early on which goes through the plot of Metroid II: Return of Samus.
- Prequel for The Elder Scrolls series, starring a woobie Khajiit named Kaita Managan, and Quill-Weave.
- Secret Of Mana Theater for Secret of Mana
- Tale of the Cave for Cave Story.