Video Game: Steel Diver
A 2½D side-scrolling submarine simulator from Nintendo for the 3DS. You pilot one of three subs (an adorable little compact sub that can fire torpedoes vertically, a medium-sized submarine which is Jack of All Stats, and a four-torpedo-tube heavy sub) through a variety of stages, dodging depth charges, naval mines, and enemy submarines along the way. A gyroscope-enabled periscope minigame and a multiplayer turn-based strategy mode round out the package.In 2014, a (mostly) free-to-play sequel, Steel Diver: Sub Wars was released. Unlike the first game's 2.5D presentation, Sub Wars is in full 3D with a first person view from the sub. The main focus is the game's surprisingly fun 4 vs. 4 multiplayer, which some have likened to Ace Combat, if Ace Combat was underwater and about submarines. It helps that the multiplayer (and the first two missions of the game's single player campaign) are free to download, with the rest of the single player and a few extra subs being unlocked for 10 dollars.
The following tropes appear in this game:
- Boring but Practical: Sure, the small sub only has one torpedo tube, no pitch wheel, and is painted a rather ugly color, but as it turns out being able to fire straight up comes in handy.
- The Cameo: Peppy Hare from Star Fox makes a cameo in Sub Wars when advertising the full version and it's features. Similar to the bunnies in Street Pass Mii Plaza.
- A later update adds the Blue Marine from Star Fox 64.
- Everyone Knows Morse: The only way to communicate in Sub Wars is through Morse code. Thankfully, there is a chart that tells you how to spell out each letter and messages are in regular letters. The single button chat system is, supposedly, more convenient than using the touch screen to type.
- Excuse Plot: In the year 19XX, a rouge nation threatens world peace. A coalition submarine force has been assembled to take them on. You're part of it.
- Hot Sub-on-Sub Action: Inevitable, really.
- 2½D: Only it's in stereoscopic 3D, which makes it... 2.75D?
- Video Game 3D Leap: Sub Wars.