"And SONIC continues to spin towards the future. Nothing will stop him!"Sonic Jam
is a Compilation Re-release
games released for the Sega Saturn
in 1997. It includes ports of Sonic 1
, and Sonic And Knuckles
as well as the Lock-On
capabilities, meaning the full Sonic 3 & Knuckles
, Blue Sphere
, and Knuckles in Sonic 2
are also playable. Each game has some difficulty options which changes or removes some levels and there is also a option to enable Sonic's Spin Dash in the first game.
The game also has a short 3D level called Sonic World, in which Sonic could complete a few fetch quests, interact with some items and enter some rooms where the player could view things like videos, concept art and game manuals.
Not to be confused with the Game.com Sonic Jam
This game contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The strategy guide and in-game galleries had lots of interesting info about the games' stages and characters.
- Compilation Re-release
- Concept Art Gallery: There's some artwork, advertisements and the FMVs for Sonic CD.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The "Man of the Year" cartoon, while still using Sonic's classic look, is set in a seaside city that bears more than a passing resemblence to Station Square...
- Easter Egg: By inserting the game's disc in a PC, four wallpapers can be found in the extras directory.
- Easy-Mode Mockery: Playing in easy mode will only let you play a single act of each stage.
- Green Hill Zone: Sonic World.
- Left Hanging: The "Man of the Year" cartoon ended with a "To Be Continued...", and it has never recieved a follow up.
- Museum Game: The game had an actual museum for Sonic to explore.
- No Ending: After clearing all missions in Sonic World, all you get is a credits roll.
- Sequel Hook: In Man Of The Year, Dr. Eggman wreaks havoc in a city while wearing a very unconvincing Sonic disguise. How will Sonic clear his name and defeat Eggman? Nobody knows, because the story wasn't ever finished.
- Tech Demo Game: Sonic World is basically an engine test for what was supposed to become Sonic Adventure, before Sonic Team decided to scrap it and modify the engine they used for NiGHTS Into Dreams.
- Updated Re-release: Contains the four main Genesis Sonic games with a few changes.