"And SONIC continues to spin towards the future. Nothing will stop him!"
Sonic Jam is a Compilation Re-release of Sonic games released for the Sega Saturn in 1997. It includes portsnote Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Sonic & Knuckles as well as the Lock-On capabilities, meaning the full Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Blue Sphere, and Knuckles in Sonic 2 are also playable. Each game has some difficulty options which changes or removes some levels and there is also a option to enable Sonic's Spin Dash in the first game.The game also has a short 3D level called "Sonic World", in which Sonic could complete a few fetch quests, interact with some items and enter some rooms where the player could view things like videos, concept art and game manuals. Needless to say, it was the closest Sonic got to being in 3D in the 32 bit age as Sonic X-treme was never finished.Not to be confused with the Game.com Sonic Jam game.
This game contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The strategy guide and in-game galleries had lots of interesting info about the games' stages and characters.
- Compilation Re-release
- Concept Art Gallery: There's some artwork, advertisements, and full-screen FMVs for Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- Early-Bird Cameo: The "Man of the Year" cartoon, while still using Sonic's classic look, is set in a seaside city that bears more than a passing resemblance to Station Square...
- Easter Egg: By inserting the game's disc in a PC, four wallpapers can be found in the extras directory.
- Green Hill Zone: Sonic World.
- Left Hanging: The "Man of the Year" cartoon ended with a "To Be Continued...", and it has never recieved a follow up.
- Musical Nod: Sonic Classic Collection on Nintendo 3DS uses the music from Sonic World in its main menu, which is something only fairly longtime and committed fans might notice (since Sonic's presence during the 32-bit era was limited to this, the Saturn version of Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island, and Sonic R).
- Museum Game: The game had an actual museum for Sonic to explore.
- No Ending: After clearing all missions in Sonic World, all you get is a credits roll.
- Sequel Hook: In Man of the Year, Dr. Eggman wreaks havoc in a city while wearing a very unconvincing Sonic disguise. How will Sonic clear his name and defeat Eggman? Nobody knows, because the story wasn't ever finished.
- Updated Re-release: Contains the four main Genesis Sonic games with a few changes.