Video Game / Rime
is an adventure platformer
game by Spanish developer Tequila Works. The game was released on May 26, 2017 for PlayStation 4
, Xbox One
, PC and will be released for the Nintendo Switch
at a later date. The game focuses on a boy who is shipwrecked on a mystical island and has to use his wits to traverse the terrain and the ruins left behind by a forgotten civilization.Needs Wiki Magic Love
Rime provides examples of:
- Animal Companion: In the first area, the boy awakens an ethereal fox which points the way to the next area and helps solve a few puzzles.
- Beautiful Void: The island is very beautiful but it doesn't have a lot of people to interact with. There are animals though.
- The Ending Changes Everything: The boy was Dead All Along, and the whole game appears to be a highly metaphorical Dying Dream.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The boy's outfit is very asymmetrical, with a tunic that only goes over one shoulder and mismatched arm braces and sandals.
- Forced Perspective: Some of the puzzles involve getting multiple objects to form an arch when viewed from a certain angle.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Three of the Sentries allow themselves to be destroyed in order to open the doors that the boy needs to pass.
- Island of Mystery: The island has very striking ruins with no apparent explanation at the start of the game.
- Kidnapping Bird of Prey: In the desert area, a large bird-like creature patrols and will grab the boy if he stays in the open too long.
- Last of His Kind: Initially, there is one Sentry which is still able to be awakened. It provides instructions to create a new one, which in turn helps replenish the others.
- Mysterious Stranger: There appears to be someone else on the island wearing an obscuring red cloak. It's likely the soul of the boy's father, trying to move on after his death.
- Scenery Porn: The island is colorful and has stunningly beautiful environments.