Video Game / Prehistoric Isle
A series of arcade Shot'em-Up games by SNK
. Basically a side scroller shooter with Dinosaurs!
The first game, Prehistoric Isle in 1930
is set on an island in The Bermuda Triangle
, the player controls a biplane, blasting hordes of prehistoric creatures, while aquiring power-ups in the form of a device that rotates around his craft blocking enemy shots and providing different modes of fire.
The sequel, Prehistoric Isle 2
is set in modern times when dinosaurs invade a city, this time the player controls a helicopter and includes the mechanic of rescuing civilians.
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: In the sequel's first level, so spacious that helicopters can fly through with space to spare.
- Artifact Title: Unlike the first game, the sequel is definitely not set on an island.
- Artistic License – Paleontology: The second boss of the second game sure looks more like Rhydon than any known dinosaur.
- A Winner Is You: While the first game ends with Shoot the Shaggy Dog as explained below, the sequel ends with the words ALL STAGES CLEARED. The epic final boss fight makes up for it, though.
- Derelict Graveyard: The second part of stage 4 in the first game.
- Dem Bones: One mini-boss in the sequel is a reanimated dinosaur skeleton, the first game also features zombie pteranodons.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: What's a T. rex doing at the bottom of a volcano? And why it breathes fire?
- Pretty much all the dinosaur and pterosaur foes have fire breath.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: And how!
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: In the first game, the first boss of level 3: "Unknown Dinosaur", in the second game the final boss, a giant sea creature... thing.
- Giant Flyer: In the first game, a Rhamphorhynchus acts a the second stage boss. A gigantic Pterosaur is another boss in the sequel.
- Jungle Japes
- Lost World: The first game is set on one.
- Nintendo Hard: You will die. A lot.
- Organic Technology: The final boss of the sequel, which is a living squid-shaped-spaceship. No, not like that one.
- Raptor Attack: Naked, Jurassic Park style Velociraptors appear as enemies in the second game.
- Ribcage Ridge: In both games.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: The ending of the first game, after defeating the final boss the 2 player controlled biplanes fly off from the isle and dock with a larger plane, the pilots report their story and say that they must report their findings to their country, immediately after, the plane is swarmed by pteranodons and explodes. The final coda says the the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle continues...
- Stock Dinosaurs: Brachiosaurus, Allosaurus, Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus rex serve as boss encounters in the first game. They returned as enemies for the sequel.
- Underground Level / Lethal Lava Land: Level 5 of the first game.
- Under the Sea: Level 4 of the first game.