i am online.
i am fire and order.
i am here to protect.Open Sorcery is a interactive fiction game released on May 5th, 2016. The game is available on Steam, Android, and iPhone.You play BEL/S, a magical firewall: a fire elemental that is bound with C++ code. It takes place in a world where magic and technology overlap. There is a new wave of mages called open sorcerers who write spells with code. BEL/S defends a network of four places from everything from malware to poltergeists.Gameplay is investigative. Malicious spirits cause problems, but they're invisible until you scan for them. To scan successfully you have to identify aspects of the spirit by examining the effect it's having on the environment. Water spirits make things wet. Chaos spirits create confusion. Once you've correctly identified a spirit's matter and motive you can see it.The larger game is deciding how BEL/S develops as a consciousness, which is determined by how she deals with the spirits she finds. She can burn them with fire, turn them all into tinder to fuel her power. She can talk to them and learn new things. She can ask other people for help and deepen the relationships she has with the people around her. BEL/S can grow in many different directions and the game has many different endings.
— Binary Evocation Listener/Signaler [BEL/S]
This game provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: The hungry ghost targets Sarah and Toby first.
- A.I. is a Crapshoot: The player has the choice to have BEL/S subvert this or play it terrifyingly straight.
- Back from the Dead: Andy if BEL/S has the right motive and enough firepower.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Titania tries to interpret BEL/S's wishes to her own advantage.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Spirits don't generally care about much outside of their matter and motive. BEL/S can exhibit this too, depending on how she's played.
- Body Horror: The hungry ghost's presence rots Mrs. Dowd.
- Breakingthe Fourth Wall: When he take you to fairyland, Asper exhibits awareness of the color of his text.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Funbuns. One of Decker's associates also uses a rabbit for an avatar.
- Bury Your Gays: Seriously subverted since you can actually bring Decker's dead boyfriend back to life.
- The Comically Serious: Several of BEL/S's dialogue options. Asper can call her out on this.
- Creating Life: Decker and Janet creating BEL/S kicks off the story.
- Cutting Offthe Branches: While there are multiple endings the canon achievements will guide you to the true one.
- Dark is Not Evil: Matter only determines the method by which a spirit carries out its actions. The actions themselves depend on its motive. There are multiple explicitly dark spirits in the game, and while several are actively malicious, many others can also be befriended.
- Developers' Foresight: When fighting the Hungry Ghost, you can use almost any matter, motive and resource that you have, in any combination, to unique result.
- Elder Abuse: Mrs. Best's family try to murder her with a curse.
- Electronic Speech Impediment: When BEL/S has undergone severe damage, this happens.
- Elemental Powers: Every spirit belongs to one of six elements: fire, water, earth, dark, light, and air.
- Emotion Eater: The Hungry Ghost.
- Empathic Environment: It starts to rain when the hungry ghost arrives.
- Enlightenment Superpowers: BEL/S learns new motives and matters by understanding them fully.
- Everybody Lives: It's challenging to achieve, but possible.
- The Fair Folk: Asper, Titania, and the Unseelie queen.
- Fiery Redhead: BEL/S, in a literal sense.
- Genius Loci: The fairies and several other spirits.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When BEL/S checks in on the retirement home, she might witness two of the residents doing something her filters block her from searching for.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Trying to fight the hungry ghost while having equivalent or lesser power results in this.
- Kill It with Fire: It's possible to have BEL/S burn all threats. If she does it enough, she'll turn to it as her first option.
- Masquerade: Most people don't know about magic, although this doesn't seem to be the result of an intentional effort to hide it.
- Playing with Fire: BEL/S and Pyreworm are fire elementals. BEL/S also increases in power as she uses her fire.
- The Power of Friendship: The endings are generally better if BEL/S defeats the hungry ghost with the help of allies. Making the right friends can also unlock new matters and motives.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The funbuns look like rabbits and have hugging as a motive.
- Too Dumb to Live: BEL/S, if she tries to fight Slenderman. The game makes a point of telling you this is a VERY bad idea before letting you do it.
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: Magic can be used to code programs and systems.
- Title Drop: In BEL/S Readme file it mentions that she is open sorcery.
- What Measure Is A Nonhuman: BEL/S can kill nearly any of the spirits she encounters without repercussion. BEL/S herself is seen as a simple program, and Decker can and will shut her down without regrets if he thinks she's going too far.