Video Game: Mr Bones
Mr Bones is a multi-genre video game released on the Sega Saturn in 1996. It was developped by Zono Incorporated and was published by Sega. Guitarist Ronnie Montrose composed some of the game's music and appears in one cutscene. Though the game wasn't much of a success during its release, it has since become a Cult Classic due in part to its campy cutscenes, great music and it's genuinely fun and inventive gameplay.The game's plot is about a man named DaGoulian who wishes to end the conflict between good and evil by creating a world of pure evil. To do this, he uses energy named Skeletism in order to raise an army of undead skeletons that he commands using a set of special drums. However, the title character is reanimated with blue Skeletism rather than red Skeletism, causing him to retain his free will. Being considered an impurity, DaGoulian orders his minions to eliminate him. After escaping, he finds a blind guitarist in the woods who gives him a guitar to help him. Mr Bones thus sets out to stop DaGoulian once and for all.
Tropes present in this game:
- Big Bad: Dagoulian.
- Cue the Sun: Happens in the ending. Since DaGoulian has vampire blood, it kills him.
- Dem Bones: The main character, as well as DaGoulian's army.
- Easter Egg: Playing the game in an audio player reveals two tracks: one where DaGoulian goes into a coherent Motive Rant, and one with Mr. Bones reminiscing about what he remembers from his past life.
- Gameplay Roulette: Almost every stage plays differently, with the sole exceptions being four platformer levels.
- Happily Ever After: In the ending, Mr Bones summons the portal to Wraith World to (un-)live with the Wraith.Now she has no body, and I have no skin... Hoho! It could work out! It! Could! Happen! Ha ha ha!
- Huge Holographic Head: DaGoulian uses one in the intro.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Mr. Bones' blue eyes signify that he is not evil. The dinosaur skeleton's eyes also turn blue after you complete the "Dry Moat" level and he becomes good.
- Instant Expert: Mr. Bones goes from not knowing what a guitar is to playing an advanced blues rock solo in seconds. The aforementioned Easter Egg implies this was probably due to banjo-playing experience in his previous life.
- Large Ham: DaGoulian, especially in the ending.
- Lilliputians: Mr. Bones encounters a village of these in a cave, which he must protect from being kidnapped by spiders.
- Longevity Treatment: DaGoulian used vampire blood in order to prolong his life long enough to complete his evil plan.
- The Power of Rock: Mr Bones' guitar is used to distract an army of skeletons, serenade a wraith and absorb the Final Boss's attacks.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Skeletons reanimated with Skeletism have red eyes, except for the main character.
- Skeletal Musician: The protagonist.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.