Video Game: King Of The Monsters
A game series created by SNK
in which you can duke it out with gigantic monsters
, hence its title. You can also bash buildings and other obstacles for power ups and health. The game play has a 2½D
style of controls in which players can stroll up and down the arena as well as the basic forward and backwards.
The series only consists of two games. The first one is available for the Neo Geo
, Sega Genesis
which has a wrestling kind of game play in which the goal is to pin down your opponent for three counts.
The second game was available for the Neo Geo, SNES and Genesis. The game play of the first two is a side scrolling, cooperative Beat 'em Up
while the Genesis version featured a tournament like fighting game in which you must defeat every monster in the game one by one in order to reach the boss at the end, YOURSELF.
The first game features six characters:
- Geon: A giant dinosaur (no monster brawler is complete without a giant reptile of some sort)
- Woo: King Kong's cousin
- Poison Ghost: A monster covered in toxic waste
- Rocky: A giant golem
- Astro Guy: A giant humanoid superhero
- Beetle Mania: A large beetle-like creature, suggested to be an alien.
Woo and Poison Ghost aren't in the SNES and Genesis ports. Additionally, Poison Ghost, Rocky, and Beetle Mania are not in the sequel — the remaining three are now powered-up versions of themselves, joined by the new boss characters for a total of 10 playable monsters. The listed names are from the US/European version, with the names from the Japanese version in parentheses.
- Aqua Slug (Sack Eyes): A giant slug who is nigh-invulnerable while withdrawn into its shell.
- Eiffelyte (Horn du Out): A giant human with an orange blob attached to his head.
- Huge Frogger (Huge Keal): A giant space-helmet-wearing humanoid frog-like creature. Underneath its helmet is actually a fish's head.
- Claw Head (Yam a Mordon): A large green monster with two heads that has a big horn on each. It also has large mouth on its belly and uses its arms to walk.
- Lavicus (Eat Wow): A blue monster with a big severed mouth and a small serpentine body. it has bat like wings on the back of its head, an odd tube with sharp teeth on his forehead, three eyes and long skinny arms. It also has a large eyeball inside his severed mouth.
- Beetle Master (Kili Kili): A large scorpion monster with four legs, an eye on his belly and a sideways mouth between his legs. His brain also shows but it's protected by a helmet.
- Famardy (King Famardy): A gigantic green blob with four eyes, lots of teeth and an orange head sticking out of its mouth. It also has arms sticking out of its midsection. He is not playable in the Genesis version.
- Atomic Guy: A powered up version of Astro Guy
- Super Geon: A mutated spiky form of the previous Geon.
- Cyber Woo: Behold, a giant robot King Kong!
These three are the heroes of the series.
Despite the name, this has no direct relation to Godzilla: King of the Monsters!
or anything else in the Godzilla
franchise (aside from a Not Zilla
). Also not to be confused with War Of The Monsters
, which shares similar themes.
This series provides examples of: