The Twin-tined Instrument of Mankind's Destruction, KAMUI
This game features examples of:
- 2½D: In ways similar to RayForce.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: ALLTYNEX OS.
- Panafill as well, though in the other direction; she's fighting for humanity rather than against it.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Xaffiquel, at the end.Such had been the final deranged act of the man that became the Adjudicator...
- Alice Allusion: Panafill de Alice's 12-year-old self, who wears an outfit similar to that of Alice from Alice in Wonderland. She's only seen in The Tale of ALLTYNEX guidebook and official dakimakura.
- And I Must Scream: The probable fate of those who were uploaded into the other Kamui fighters, after ALLTYNEX took control of them.
- Attack Reflector: Though not necessarily to the point of Reflection and RefleX. Hitting an enemy laser with your Lightning Blade will turn it into a lightning blast that attacks enemies. The unlockable "Mass-Produced" version of the Kamui fighter has a spread of lightning beams that are designed around reflecting back lasers.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Panafill during the cutscenes.
- Book Ends: The game starts and ends at the Mechanized Temple.
- Brain Uploading: Xaffiquel's big project. The Kamui fighters actually require it to work.
- Bullet Hell
- Cognizant Limbs: Bosses often have parts that you can shoot off for extra points.
- Crosshair Aware: Do not stay in cross-hairs. It ends badly.
- Despair Event Horizon: What lead to Xaffiquel's Face-Heel Turn.
- Death from Above: The Kamui's lightning storm weapon is pretty much certain doom for anything below it.
- One of the Adjudicator's attacks rains downs death beams after turning red.
- Difficulty Levels: Easy, Normal, Menace.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The whole of humanity needs to die to atone for uploading a single girl's mind into a military fighter?
- Possibly the whole thing starts because Doc didn't like the (fairly typical) misuse of his rather benevolent (if inhumane) research made by the government. And all of that just so they can have more power. Adding his daughter's mind being uploaded into a fighter just added more fuel.
- Ethereal Choir: The Judge.
- Floating Continent: Area 2.
- High-Altitude Battle: The final fight is in orbit.
- Kaizo Trap: The second boss fires one last blast from its Wave-Motion Tuning Fork during its death animation, after the music has already stopped. This blast can kill you.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: In ways that would make the R-GRAY 2 and Wave Rider 02 proud.
- Lightning Gun: The Kamui fighter's signature armament.
- Living Weapon: The first three bosses, Souryuu, Kokutaka, and Ougomo, are this.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: ALLTYNEX pulls a digital version of this on Alice making her fight against two bosses before breaking loose.
- Made of Explodium: Many of the bosses make disproportionately large explosions when defeated.
- Mad Scientist: Xaffiquel.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Panafill de Alice.
- Master Computer: ALLTYNEX's core (pictured above).
- Meaningful Name: The name of final boss theme, "The Judge", seems to represent Xaffiquel's delusions as a punisher of humanity's sins.
- In addition, his name is clearly derived from Tzaphqiel, an angel who was assigned to record all of history, and, in quite a bit of rabbinical lore, a dark angel. In fact, the idea of a angel over your right shoulder and a demon over your left shoulder, trying to sway you towards good and evil respectively, came from an idea of this being done with Raziel swaying towards good, and Tzaphqiel swaying towards evil.
- Mirror Boss: One boss is preceded by a fight with the remaining five Kamui fighters.
- Necessarily Evil: The Kamui fighters, not to mention the rebuilt ALLTYNEX, were seen as this due to the rampaging ZODIAC's that were laying waste to Earth at the time.
- Nintendo Hard
- Power Gives You Wings: Kamui Unit 00 sprouts these during its boss battle. It's a hint that it's powered by the remains of ZODIAC Ophiuchus.
- Regional Bonus: The international release will feature a TATE mode, which turns the screen 90º to fill up most of the screen (or all, if you're using a 4:3 monitor), for those who have a monitor that can be turned vertically.
- Roboteching: Your lightning bolts and enemy lasers love doing this.
- Sequential Boss: ALLTYNEX summons bosses from earlier (in-universe chronology) games before fighting you itself.
- Shock and Awe: The Kamui fighters.
- Video Game Remake: Averted. Unlike the other two games, Kamui is an original game and not a remake of an existing one.
- Wave Motion Gun: Made of lightning!
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The only explanation for the spelling of Xaffiquel's name.
You must have been so lonely.
You must have been so sad.
Let's die together...