The Orbital Mechanized Temple
The Twin-tined Instrument of Mankind's Destruction, KAMUI
A Shoot 'em Up
made by SITER SKAIN in 1999 and part of The Tale of ALLTYNEX
has been often described as "a more intense RayStorm
clone". The gameplay is slightly different from the "standard" shoot 'em up: the ship — the eponymous Kamui fighter — is not a One-Hit-Point Wonder
, and it has two special weapons beyond its main Spread Shot
: a powerful Wave Motion Gun
that can cancel bullets and a "lightning storm" weapon that targets enemies below the fighter where its main weapons cannot reach. Both run off the same energy gauge, which must recharge after each use. It is short, but very fast-paced and relentless in difficulty.
Although one of the earliest games released by SITER SKAIN, its story actually takes place after several of their other titles; both Alltynex Second
are prequels to it. During the Time Skip
, a scientist named Xaffiquel de Alice drafts a theory regarding "Brain Fusion" technology, which would allow a psychic human's mind to be permanently uploaded into a computer. The military sees the potential to create super-weapons using this theory. In desperation due to the ZODIAC's battling it out over Earth, eight "Kamui" fighters and a massive automatic defense army, commanded from the "Mechanized Temple", are created using this technology. Among the humans uploaded into those fighters was Xaffiquel's own daughter, Panafill de Alice. Enraged at the loss of his daughter, Xaffiquel decides that humanity has grown too corrupt and must be punished. Uploading his mind into the orbital fortress as "the Adjudicator", he waits for civilization to rebuild itself before unleashing the destructive might of the Mechanized Temple and Neural Network based on the ancient genocidal supercomputer, ALLTYNEX.
Now Panafill, who managed to escape the rebuilt ALLTYNEX's control due to having been conscious during her upload, must destroy both ALLTYNEX and the Adjudicator to prevent mankind's destruction.
An English translation patch is available here
(requires v1.10), making it the first game in the series to be fully translated. This doesn't really matter anymore, as Nyu Media localized and published Kamui
along with the rest of the ALLTYNEX
trilogy in June 2013, and is available for purchase through various digital distribution sites.
This game features examples of:
- 2½D: In ways similar to RayForce.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: ALLTYNEX OS.
- Panafill as well, though in the other direction; she's fighting for humanity rather than against it.
- Alice Allusion: Panafill de Alice's 12-year-old self, who wears an outfit similar to that of Alice from Alice in Wonderland. She's only seen in The Tale of ALLTYNEX guidebook and official dakimakura.
- And I Must Scream: The probable fate of those who were uploaded into the other Kamui fighters, after ALLTYNEX took control of them.
- Attack Reflector: Though not necessarily to the point of Reflection and RefleX. Hitting an enemy laser with your Lightning Blade will turn it into a lightning blast that attacks enemies.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Panafill during the cutscenes.
- Book Ends: The game starts and ends at the Mechanized Temple.
- Brain Uploading: Xaffiquel's big project. The Kamui fighters actually require it to work.
- Bullet Hell
- Cognizant Limbs: Bosses often have parts that you can shoot off for extra points.
- Crosshair Aware: Do not stay in cross-hairs. It ends badly.
- Despair Event Horizon: What lead to Xaffiquel's Face-Heel Turn.
- Death from Above: The Kamui's lightning storm weapon is pretty much certain doom for anything below it.
- One of the Adjudicator's attacks rains downs death beams after turning red.
- Difficulty Levels: Easy, Normal, Menace.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The whole of humanity needs to die to atone for uploading a single girl's mind into a military fighter?
- Possibly the whole thing starts because Doc didn't like the (fairly typical) misuse of his rather benevolent (if inhumane) research made by the government. And all of that just so they can have more power. Adding his daughter's mind being uploaded into a fighter just added more fuel.
- Ethereal Choir: The Judge.
- Floating Continent: Area 2.
- High Altitude Battle: The final fight is in orbit.
- Kaizo Trap: The second boss fires one last blast from its Wave-Motion Tuning Fork during its death animation, after the music has already stopped. This blast can kill you.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: In ways that would make the R-GRAY 2 and Wave Rider 02 proud.
- Lightning Gun: The Kamui fighter's signature armament.
- Living Weapon: The first three bosses, Souryuu, Kokutaka, and Ougomo, are this.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: ALLTYNEX pulls a digital version of this on Alice making her fight against two bosses before breaking loose.
- Made of Explodium: Many of the bosses make disproportionately large explosions when defeated.
- Mad Scientist: Xaffiquel.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Panafill de Alice.
- Master Computer: ALLTYNEX's core (pictured above).
- Meaningful Name: The name of final boss theme, "The Judge", seems to represent Xaffiquel's delusions as a punisher of humanity's sins.
- In addition, his name is clearly derived from Tzaphqiel, an angel who was assigned to record all of history, and, in quite a bit of rabbinical lore, a dark angel. In fact, the idea of a angel over your right shoulder and a demon over your left shoulder, trying to sway you towards good and evil respectively, came from an idea of this being done with Raziel swaying towards good, and Tzaphqiel swaying towards evil.
- Mirror Boss: One boss is preceded by a fight with the remaining five Kamui fighters.
- Necessarily Evil: The Kamui fighters, not to mention the rebuilt ALLTYNEX, were seen as this due to the rampaging ZODIAC's that were laying waste to Earth at the time.
- Nintendo Hard
- Power Gives You Wings: Kamui Unit 00 sprouts these during its boss battle. It's a hint that it's powered by the remains of ZODIAC Ophiuchus.
- Regional Bonus: The international release will feature a TATE mode, which turns the screen 90º to fill up most of the screen (or all, if you're using a 4:3 monitor), for those who have a monitor that can be turned vertically.
- Roboteching: Your lightning bolts and enemy lasers love doing this.
- Sequential Boss: ALLTYNEX summons bosses from earlier (in-universe chronology) games before fighting you itself.
- Shock and Awe: The Kamui fighters.
- Wave Motion Gun: Made of lightning!
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The only explanation for the spelling of Xaffiquel's name.
This is for the best, papa...
You must have been so lonely.
You must have been so sad.
Let's die together...