is an arcade game developed by Atari
Games and released in 1983. It was the first arcade video game to use solid 3D rendered raster graphics, and exploited it to draw its third-person views.
The player controls a robot, Unhappy Interface Robot #1984, who lives in a polygonal landscape overseen by Big Brother, an all-seeing eye. In the platforming levels, the player has to run over all of the surfaces to paint them blue (at first; see Palette Swap
), while dodging assorted obstacles. Furthermore, if Big Brother's eye is open when the player leaps, he is instantly disintegrated. The platforming stages alternate with short conventional shoot 'em up levels.
Players in a more relaxed mood can also "play" the game in "Paint Mode", which lets the player manipulate and draw 3D polygonal objects on the screen.
The game demonstrates the following tropes:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Inverted. The Unhappy Interface Robot #1984 decides to rebel against Big Brother.
- Border Patrol: Planes in flying sections
- Big Brother Is Watching
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: After completing the set of levels once, a new enemy is added which aims at the camera, instead of trying to kill interface bot.
- Every 10,000 Points: You'll get a new life after 10000 points.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Including soccer balls, sharks and birds with sunglasses.
- Eye Beams: The Big Brother's eye shoots you if he catches you mid-air.
Big Brother: THE LAW NO JUMPING
Unhappy Interface Robot #1984: OH YEAH (jumps around) WHY NOT
Big Brother: (opens eye, zaps the robot) THATS WHY
- Faceless Eye: Who kills you if it catches you mid-air.
- Palette Swap: Level 27 is the same as level 1, except that instead of touching red tiles to turn them blue, you're now touching yellow tiles to turn them green. Plus of course the difficulty is increased, and there's a new enemy (see Breaking the Fourth Wall above). There are 126 levels in totalnote , hence five waves (each with its distinctive palette) altogether (although the last wave is not complete).
- Mainly to 1984
- There is also one level with sharks and Jaws theme plays.
- Sinister Geometry: Some of the hazards
- Timed Mission: The platforming halves of the stage.