arena Shoot 'Em Up
that centers around user-made content. The game comes with an editor that lets you make your own enemies, then lets you blow them to bits.
It comprises of two modes: Free Play, which pits you against one or more of the available enemies and Try, which gives the player different scenarios. The latter is not as popular
, due to the fact that it's harder to make scenarios than enemies.
, with more bosses available here
This game features:
- April Fools' Day: Gave us the T-401 Vic Viper.
- Attack Its Weak Point - All the enemies are built around a single core. Guess what will destroy the whole boss if you blow it up?
- Beam Spam
- Boss Game
- Boss Rush - Free Play mode in a nutshell.
- Boss Subtitles: "Incoming [boss name] rank 100!"
- Bullet Hell: There is a play mode called "danmaku", which reduces your hitbox to one pixel. And a ship type that's called, yes, Bullet Hell: very little health, pretty fast, and requires special energy to fire Blaster weapons.
- Bullfight Boss: Mini Core. Turns to face you. Charges. Repeats those steps until destroyed.
- The Big Core part also does this as well, only it's much slower.
- Ditto with the Fighter Cores.
- Cast from Hit Points: Your life bar doubles as energy for your weapons.
- Chasing Your Tail: Head Core.
- Cores and Turrets Boss: The most basic kind of boss there is.
- Continuity Reboot: The 'Moth' series was originally made by Areo. Oneshiningstar picked up where he left off. Areo comes back with a slightly newer backstory.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Alex Mdle's Emperor's second phase. Also some of his other bosses.
- Crosshair Aware: Remote Blast. Bonus points for moving at three different speeds, including instantaneously.
- TekTo's Atlas also does this its' later stages, though it doesn't involve remote blasts.
- Ebo's Space Battle Ship 1300K does that, but again doesn't involve remote blasts.
- Deadly Walls: Energy walls.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: You have infinite lives. Your mission is to whack the boss down as quickly as possible.
- In Try mode you cannot save replays if you continue after dying, but you can still beat the Try.
- Design It Yourself: Fraxy comes with a creation editor that allows you to create and edit bosses and such. A number of weapons and parts can be customized allowing for unique patterns and behaviors.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Eboshidori's Phantom 30K, among others.
- Dual Boss: The Deploy Core is built for this purpose. Paste several drones onto it and the core will launch them all as soon as the fight begins.
- Energy Ball: Power Ball and Ion Ring (with Fill option enabled)
- Eye Beams: Zapan D.
- Fake Difficulty: The use of the Screen (blur) effector looped just to confuse the player is one example.
- Fan Fic: Some of the more prevalent boss makers out there like to put together stories to go with their bosses. Notable examples are Eboshidori's "Fragments of Men", as well as A70M1C's "][nfector" series.
- Because of A70M1C's status as a well-known boss creator at the time, getting a boss ][nfected was a great honor for other boss creators.
- Follow the Leader: Eboshidori pretty much singlehandedly invented the "What If...?" scenarios, the Search-Light wings, custom player weapons and the very, very often used "Globe of light spewing bullets" type of boss. And many, many creations with borrowed ideas followed. Eboshidori is to Fraxy, is what Simpsons are to animated sitcoms.
- Flunky Boss: EBO-ALLTYNEX and EBO-GIGATYNEX HC.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Game-Breaking Bug: Several bosses don't work properly in the latest beta versions, despite appearing fine in the editor. These include Eboshidori's Virupaksa II and Sakra-Devanam(This one recently began working again, however). Oneshiningstar's CX-07: Giant Delta 3 has its 3rd delta self-destruct for no apparent reason just before the fourth phase begins. However, if it was not so, you'd be panicking. That thing is spam.
- Glass Cannon: The Quicker ship type. Its attack is insane, its initial boost is insane, its regeneration is just as insane, but it's slow and lacks hit points.
- Heroic RROD: Over Soll Mode.
- Leit Motif: Several bosses are associated with certain themes.
- Omoresu's sound effect-laced title theme.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Missile part. LOOPED!
- Missiles can be set to release projectiles upon explosion (via extra parameters, as always). What if the projectiles are set to be MORE MISSILES?
- More Dakka: Needle Gun on Attack Action 3.
- Recurring Boss Template: Several bosses, both presupplied and user made tend to be flying Laser Blades.
- Reflecting Laser: Reflect Ray will reflect off lasers, barriers, energy walls and even blades!
- The Ion Ring can also do this, despite not being a laser.
- Sailor Earth: You'd be surprised how many Big Core-style bosses there are.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Bosses are to be fought with bullets only. This trope is so ingrained in many players that they make bosses with this in mind.
- Sequential Boss: Fraxy is up to the ears in these.
- The Phantom 30k changes shape based on what attack pattern it wants to use next.
- Shout-Out: Essentially, the rule is that "If it appears in a shmup, we can remake it."
- The Plasma Ring came from Touhou and the 3-armed powerup came from Cho Ren Sha 68K.
- The pre supplied boss "Viper" looks like the Vic Viper, complete with options floating around it.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Broken Dream's final form.
- Spread Shot: All 3 flavours!
- Initial Burst: Practically every bullet-type weapon can be this.
- Spray Burst: The hardest to make of the three, but sometimes present.
- Exploding Shot: Energy Egg/Missile.
- Trick Boss: The Clock Trap, which starts out as a harmless, unprotected core until you find out that it was a holding mechanism for a robotic laser blender that you'd be crazy to take on. Luckily, it's also defeated by managing to escape its gravitational pull and the surrounding laser emitters, on top of being dedicated enough to destroy its core.
- Up to Eleven: "Death Label" Bosses, which are harder versions of other bosses.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Laser. Bonus points for being available in three different sizes.
- The Power Laser also qualifies as this.
Tropes Specific to the Fan Fics:
- Alternate History: How the "Mara" series sustained itself after the defeat of the Big Bad.
- Body Horror: A70M1C's ][nfected start out normal, then turn into a freaking horror shortly after taking enough damage.
- Clipped Wing Angel: Sakra-Devanam Human Type. Not only does she turn into a fetus, she rips off Iwanaga and later explodes.
- Corrupt Church: Omoresu's Angelo Storyline has the Nyghts Clique, who worship Angelus.
- Boxorak's Soul Harvest had the Skelati, beings that harvest souls in an attempt to both appease their god and free him from a dimensional rift.
- Deus ex Machina: There's a lot of this.
- Deus Est Machina: The big two: Reactor-00 and Sakra Devanam.
- Did You Just Blow Up Cthulhu/God/Satan/Bezerk AI 305: Let's just say those tiny little fighters are pretty damn powerful.
- Eldritch Abomination: Many Fraxy Fan Fic series have one of these, either mentioned or as the Big Bad.
- Gainax Ending: The end of Eboshidori's Mara series.
- Humans Are Bastards: In Eboshidori's Mara Storyline, Sakra-Devanam was created by humans, and confirms this to such a degree that she decides to END HUMANITY. Remember, humans CREATED HER.
- Fraxy: Soul Harvest example: Istykus, the deity of the Skelati, claims that this is because we're afraid of nature.
- In fact, this is taken to such an extreme that none of the main characters are human.
- Light Is Not Good: Sakra-Devanam and A70M1C'S Reactor 00.
- Mind Screw: Zarro Tsu 's Wrath, especially during the final phase against White where it seems like reality itself is breaking down.
- Oh, Crap: The ending of Mara's battle with Phantom 30-K results in Phantom 30-K freaking out and calling for help, then getting blown out of space.
- One-Winged Angel: The Fraxy community loves this trope, as many bosses utilize this.
- A famous example is A70M1C's Osiris, which seems to be a mechanical thing before transforming into an Energy Being for a long battle.
- Atomic Vault 99, which turns out to be holding The Avatar, Osiris's first form. However, on Hard Mode, it spectacularly transforms into Osiris for an extremely long battle.
- Eboshidori recently created one for the Final Boss of his Fan Fic Fragments of Men, Samsara. After nearly depleting his life bar, he merges with a crucifix, then attempts to fly to the top of the screen. If you can beat him after managing to destroy a glowing orb at a certain point in the fight, he, cross and all, will transform into his angelic Sunyata form, which rains even more Bullet Hell down on you than before. Admittedly, fighting him like that is a lot better than just beating his temporary Clipped Wing Angel form, but still...
- Samus is a Girl: Sakra Devanam is actually female, confirmed by Ebo.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Reactor-00 (though it wasn't at first), the ][nfected... hell, there are a lot of them.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Double Subverted With Pure Question's Great Shining Seal/Arcana
- Serial Escalation: Eboshidori created a boss called Matrix Hibachi, which was pretty hard. Shortly after, he gave us the "Death Label" version, which had bullet patterns similar to the original, only harder. To clarify, the original was already Bullet Hell.
- Zarro Tsu, in what seems to be a complete "Screw You" to the player, released the "Death Label" version of his A.N.G.E.L. Boss. This is regarded as a completely evil move because... well, see Death Is a Slap on the Wrist.
- Sinister Geometry: Oomagatuhi's DANMAKU-DAMASII-Mk5, as well as Eboshidori's True Acala and the second form of Broken Dream.
INCOMING INDEX MARKUP