Forbidden Forest is an old third person shooter game. You play as a Bounty Hunter
who must venture forth in the titular Forbidden Forest and kill all the evil creatures that lures in it. The game was quite a technical achievement for its time, as it included things such as parallax scrolling
, a day/night cycle, and context-sensitive music.
The game had a sequel (Beyond the Forbidden Forest
) and another one in 3D with a different graphic and plot.
Forbidden Forest contains examples of:
- A Winner Is You
- Background Boss: The Ghost, the Snakes and Demogorgon in the first game. The giant Dragon in the sequel.
- Big Bad: Demogorgon, lord of the beasts of the titular Forbidden Forest.
- Boss Game: You jump from one boss fight to the other across the forest.
- Dem Bones: The third-to last boss in the original game. A bunch of spear-wielding ghouls led by a large ghost in the background
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: Demogorgon.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Yes, you can slay Demogorgon with your arrows.
- Eye Beams: Demogorgon's main form of attack in the sequel.
- Everything Is Trying to Kill You: Spiders, bees, frogs, snakes and monsters.
- Giant Spider: The first boss. Many of them, actually. They come back as regular fodder in the third game.
- Grim Reaper: The spirit that commands the skeletons looks like this.
- Happy Dance: The archer's Victory Pose after each level in the original game.
- Lightning Reveal: In the first game, Demogorgon is only visible when lightning flashes. So you'll need to quickly aim arrows at the place you last saw him.
- Limited Loadout: If you run out of arrows, it's effectively game over because the monsters can kill you but you can't kill them.
- The Lost Woods
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The archer on the game's box art looks suspiciously like Rambo-era Sylvester Stallone
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: You. Also Demogorgon in the sequel.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The first one you meet is a flying serpent who spits fire. The one in the sequel is a large, fat monster who can breathe fire from his many heads.
- The Place
- Sand Worm: The second boss in the sequel.
- Scary Scorpions: The first boss in the sequel, he will chase you around the forest.
- The Many Deaths of You: Each boss can give you a different death animation. Including being stab to death, eaten alive, beaten to a pulp, crushed, burned to death, melt with acid and sucked alive.