Video Game: Forever's End
In development since 2008, NicoB's freeware RPG Forever's End
at first appears to be nothing more than a standard Eastern RPG
. Most of the story revolves around the power-hungry
King Richard, his sinister advisor
Marcellus, and the the blue-haired protagonist
Epoch. After resigning from his position as Captain of the Dragon Knights and being labeled a traitor by his countrymen, Epoch must find a way to stop King Richard from collecting the six legendary crystals
and ruling the world.
For those of you who haven't noticed, this is essentially Final Fantasy IV
in a nutshell. Good news is that it plays a lot better than it sounds. After the first hour or so, the RPG tropes
begin to settle down, and Forever's End
becomes more its own beast. In addition, the game offers players plenty of custom systems, plot twists, original artwork, and catchy tunes to keep any RPG fan hooked for hours.
You can download the game here
This game provides examples of:
- Abusive Precursors: Funnily enough they were called the Precursors even when they were still around, and boy did they screw things up.
- Actually Four Mooks: Monsters appear as black spirits.
- Adam Smith Hates Your Guts
- An Adventurer Is You: Each character is given a class based on their abilities and occupation. After Epoch abandons his Captain position, his class changes from Captain to Traitor. His abilities, however, remain the same.
- An Economy Is You: Coincidentally, all shops seem to be equipped with just the right kind of weapons for the characters currently in your party...
- Arbitrary Gun Power: Ziggy and Claude's weaponry.
- Arbitrary Headcount Limit: Only allowed four people in battle at once.
- Ate His Gun: After Claude is forced to betray you, as Epoch you overhear him in the sewers asking for extra bullets...Then his blood pours down where Epoch is standing.
- Badass: Slade, hands down. Anyone who can out-will Malvir, a borderline Eldritch Abomination, when they shouldn't have been able to is deserving of being called this.
- Bag of Sharing: Your inventory is swapped between characters split over continents, characters who haven't met each other yet, characters who are centuries in the past being accessed through dreams...
- Battle Theme Music
- BGM Override: Occurs at many points, such as the invasion of Levantia at the beginning of the game.
- Black and White Magic: Most heraldry magic.
- Character Level
- Convenient Questing
- Curb-Stomp Battle: When Epoch breaks and doesn't complete his mission objective, Marcellus reveals himself and cans you good.
- Critical Hit
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Cyrus is a drunkard, no doubting that. However, his drunkenness is almost directly proportional to how much ass he can kick, seeing as how drinking alcohol acts like a mid-battle class change for him.
- Defend Command
- Disc One Final Dungeon: Lyonell Manor.
- Drunken Master: Cyrus, who can gain additional stances and powers by drinking different types of booze.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Everyone has a strength or weakness. And considering how tough some bosses can be, you're going to be exploiting them a lot.
- Enemy Mine: Slade the demon hunter and Epoch are forced to team up for the same goal but different reasons.
- Everyone Meets Everyone.
- Experience Points.
- Tech Points: Ability points (AP) used to learn heraldry spells.
- Face-Heel Turn: Marcellus was once a Crusader. Now he's one of the main villains.
- Fight Woosh
- Generation Xerox: Emily + Alexander from the past —> Epoch + Elizabeth in the present, right down to how they met.
- Get on the Boat: Epoch heading off on his first mission. Also, the train used by Goldo and Lee to cross the ocean.
- Gotta Catch Them All: Monster capturing, not only does it help give you good items if you capture them all in a region, But also each capture counts as a kill so it makes your work load easier. Basically capturing is feed them their favorite food, throw capture crystal, ???, profit.
- Guest Star Party Member: Burns and Claude (although you don't know it at the time).
- Guns Are Worthless: For some reason, Claude's rifle is considerably weaker than everyone's standard sword and dagger.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Epoch wields a sword.
- Hit Points
- Hyper Space Arsenal
- Improbable Power Discrepancy
- Inexplicable Treasure Chests
- Informed Equipment
- Inn Security: Elise waking up to Marcellus attacking the innkeeper.
- Irrelevant Sidequest: Monster catching. That said, doing this is a really good way to get some impressive equipment that will last you for quite a while, so...
- Item Crafting: Goldo's Bag system require him to mix together multiple items to make new skills.
- It's All About Me: Hyuga's outlook. He doesn't care who else suffers or how much he has to dirty his hands, as long as it brings him closer to the top.
- It Was All Just A Dream: Epoch's dreams about the Crusaders.
- Job System: Cyrus has the ability to change his class at any time, both in and out of battle, by drinking specific alcoholic beverages.
- Jumped at the Call: Epoch decides he must be the one to save his whole kingdom from Richard's insanity! Thankfully, he runs into about eight other people willing to help out.
- Err not quite jumped, but was nudged in this direction By the villain no less.
- Justified Tutorial: Dr. Farnstein's explanation of the monster catching system. Elise's explanation about heraldry magic.
- Kid Hero: Lee during his arc of the game.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Chests, vases, barrels, rocks...there are items everywhere!
- Legions of Hell: The Lost appear to be something of this nature.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: After Lyonell Manor, Epoch, Elise, and Slade are each transported to different locations.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Cyrus is reckless drunken idiot who when motivated will kick your ass no matter who you are. And bonus points for booze actually powering him up.
- Level Grinding
- Mass Monster Slaughter Sidequest: Kill all the monsters in an area, win a stat upgrade!
- Money Spider: These monsters are loaded.
- Monster Allies: Captured monsters can fight alongside party members in battle.
- No Hero Discount: Epoch and co. can't catch a break.
- Nominal Importance: All you need to know is that he's a man who doesn't mind chatting it up with complete strangers.
- No Experience Points for Medic:
- No Stat Atrophy
- Obfuscating Stupidity: As much as other people and he himself play up his incompetence at fortune telling, it's clear that Seti O'Hare knows way more about what's going on than he let's on, seeing as how he was able to figure out Fredrick had something to do with Epoch's dreams.
- Our Demons Are Different: Demons are more akin to massively powerful (albeit unintelligent) and almost Lovecraftian horrors, able warp time and space by their mere presence (a demon that stays in one place for too long causes the location it's trapped in to become a living, breathing part of itself). They tend to kill human because they enjoy doing so, but those they don't just rip apart have their souls eaten either by binding the human to them or by binding themselves to a host, much like the "demon" that possessed Slade, although Slade's case is unusual because he isn't a demon, but Malvir himself, who is a Lost.
- Party in My Pocket
- Person of Mass Destruction: A few. Hooded Man, Marcellus,... Elise after we find out she can do psychic bursts that nuke castles, then later on find out if she dies half the planet will feel that burst.
- Plunder: Encounter enemy, kill enemy, ????, profit.
- Power Equals Rarity
- Preexisting Encounters: Enemies can be seen chasing you on the map.
- Punch Clock Villain: Slade actually has nothing against Epoch, it's just that he was hired by King Richard, and he intends to do his job.
- Rat Stomp: Sewer rats.
- Really 700 Years Old: The Keeper, and Atlas, one of the Crystal Guardians, have been alive for more than a thousand years, as has Marcellus. Seti O'Hare claims be over a millennium old as well, but he might just be lying out his ass.
- That said, there is evidence Seti may not be lying after all...
- Required Party Member
- Redemption Demotion: * Acknowledged, and justified, in universe. When Elsie joins the party she warns that her magic is weaker now 'for some reason' It's later revealed to be a side effect of the main villian's attempt to tap her powers and separate her from the crystal
- Resources Management Gameplay
- Save Point: Called "Memory Pool."
- The Six Stats: HP, MP, Attack, Defense, Agility, Magic.
- Standard RPG Items: But it's called "Extract" instead of "Potion." That makes it completely different!
- Standard Status Effects
- Starter Equipment: If this is the only weapon of its type in existence, why is it so much weaker than weapons I can buy at any shop in the world?
- Statistically Speaking
- Super-Powered Evil Side: C'mon you knew Slade had one, and when Hyuga releases it the look on his face says it all, followed by the screaming.
- Summon Magic: Turns out Emily (of the crusader era) and Elizabeth are capable of this.
- Take Your Time
- Talk to Everyone
- A Taste of Power: The Hooded Man.
- The Dev Team Thinks of Everything: If you use a scan crystal on Marcellus, the crystal will break, preventing you from seeing any spoileriffic information about him.
- There Are No Tents
- Time Stands Still: Zanziba (Lee's father) is capable of this. Atlas reveals that this power is actually a trait of Lee's family as a whole, not just his father, because of the crystal they guard. Whether or not this will become a gameplay element is unknown.
- Time Travel: Lynorr Mansion
- Took a Shortcut: Wait...how did Hyuga get in front of me?
- Trauma Inn
- 24-Hour Armor
- Unhand Them, Villain!: When the Black Demon is holding Hyuuga over a cliff, Epoch asks that he let him go. The demon obliges.
- Universal Poison
- Wallet of Holding
- We Buy Anything
- Welcome to Corneria
- Whip It Good: Princess Elizabeth 'liz' Bridges aka King Richard's daughter aka the one he thought dead is alive and as a party member uses this.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Atlas, one of the crystal guardians, flat out states he finds his eternal youth to be more of a burden than a gift.
- You All Look Familiar