A Game Mod
for Doom II
, Batman Doom
puts you in the shoes of (guess who?
; specifically, the mod's plot is (very)
loosely based on the Knightfall
storyline. It was released in 1999 by the ACE Team who, years later, went on to make Zeno Clash
and Rock of Ages
The game is divided into chapters, each of which involves Batman taking on the machinations of a different prominent villain from his Rogues Gallery
and eventually facing the villain as a boss.Batman Doom
remains one of the most acclaimed mods for Doom II
, among other things. This is due to its Genius Programming
, which is apparent to anyone with expertise in Doom
editing; while modern source ports give the modders wider flexibility and freedom, the original Doom
engine is notoriously inflexible, and yet ACE Team have managed to achieve some truly mind-bogglingly difficult tricks with it.
It is available for download here
, and is best played with the PrBoom
This mod exhibits the following tropes:
- Action Bomb: The Penguin's walking penguin bombs.
- Amusement Park of Doom: "House of Fear", complete with Creepy Circus Music.
- Arm Cannon: Type-1 for Batman's Blastguns, Shuriken Glove, Azrael's Glove, and the Flamethrower.
- BFG: Two-Face fights Batman with an M1 rocket launcher.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Slum Lords charge at Batman with tonfa blades.
- Bonus Stage: If you manage to finish the first Scarecrow boss fight before a bomb blows up Mayor Kroll, you can access a bonus level. Even this little bit of non-linearity is impressive in a Doom mod.
- Boss-Only Level: The final level.
- Boss Rush: The two penultimate levels, taking place in the ruined Arkham Asylum, have you facing all the bosses encountered so far, one by one.
- Cool Shades: Shotgun Thieves, Slum Lords, and Snipers wears sunglasses.
- Die, Chair! Die!: Some inanimate objects like chairs can be wrecked by Batman or the enemies.
- Down the Drain: Shows up very quickly, as your second real level (not counting the Batcave), where you hunt the Killer Croc.
- Everyone Owns A Mac: Apple Macintosh computers can be seen in many places throughout the game, including the Batcave. The Computer Area Map power-up is even a Macintosh.
- Fauxlosophic Narration: A few text screens pop up during the game, filled with Batman boasting about how he's the "chosen one" to defeat the great evil in Gotham, or something.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Batman can obtain an arm-fitted flamethrower that functions like the Plasma Rifle in Doom. Flamethrower Dudes are armed with traditional flamethrower.
- Fisticuffs Boss: Bane, the end boss. You are forced to pick up a special gauntlet and you cannot switch out of it. If you try to switch out, the fight becomes Unwinnable as you are rendered completely helpless.
- Friendly Local Chinatown: One of the levels... sans the "friendly" part. Buddhist iconography, paper lanterns and shuriken-tossing Asian thugs abound.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Attempting to play the mod in Zandronum results in certain enemies apparently becoming voodoo dolls who, if you kill them, automatically kill you in return by way of telefragging, even if you're in god mode. Thankfully, the enemies that do this are rare in comparison to the "safe" ones... but this still makes the game unwinnable because one of them happens to be the final boss. The seventh weapon is also unusable, as it takes up ammo even though it's supposed to have infinite ammo, making the final fight with Bane unwinnable. The latter bug seems to be fixed in newer dev builds of ZDoom. (Zandronum is based on a rather old version.)
- A fan-made patch for ZDoom or its derivatives aims to fix the issues of running it on modern source ports, but it has nasty bug where Batman's character model become taller, making it impossible to enter through some doorways without using the no clipping cheat to bypass it. The mod itself also doesn't take kindly to misusing the autoload function or the "-file" command perimeter of ZDoom-based source ports to load the WAD and patch files automatically instead of dragging and dropping them to the executable, resulting in erratic and glitchy behavior that would never happen otherwise.
- The Joker will suddenly disappear when you beat in him in ZDoom-based source ports in maps 24, 25, and 29, and the script to take you to the next level doesn't work, forcing you to use a cheat to advance to the next level.
- Guns Akimbo: The Tally Man fights Batman with dual revolvers. Batman also dual-wields blastguns on both his arms.
- Knife Nut: Strakes, hulking thugs armed with a pocket knife.
- Lost in the Maize: The level with the second Scarecrow boss fight.
- Mind Screw / Joke Level: The Secret Level, called simply "No Comment..." or "Weird!" As the cheesy theme song of the campy 60's show plays in the background, you fight giant flying eyes on a island floating in black void, made out of flesh with trees with half-melted clocks growing out of it, and then enter the (literal) mouth of a meat pyramid to exit the level.
- Molotov Cocktail: Used by the enemy called "Zeke".
- Monster Clown: Evil clowns which toss darts at you, found in the Scarecrow's and Joker's chapters.
- Non-Lethal K.O.: Technically, all the enemies are knocked out rather than killed, since it's Batman we're talking about — the kill meter is even removed from the stats screen. How can you achieve this with a flamethrower or some exploding barrels is a mystery.
- Non-Standard Game Over: YOU FAILED TO FIGHT BANE WITH YOUR FISTS
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Averted in the Penguin's level where failing to jump over to the other building where the Penguin is results in your death.
- Outrun the Fireball: The ending of the "Axis Chemicals" level.
- Player Headquarters: The Batcave, which you visit at the beginning of every chapter to replenish your resources a little (and which contains a different secret each time).
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Batman's Blastgun, and he uses two of them for each arm. Inverted when you're dealing with Shotgun Thieves.
- Shout-Out: In the level where you fight Two-Face, there's a room where TV is playing Mortal Kombat with Scorpion is fighting Goro.
- Slasher Smile: Batman dons one after picking up the invincibility power-up or when he's in God Mode. He's also seen with one on the title screen.
- Strapped to a Bomb: Mayor Kroll gets tied to a chair with a bomb tied to him. There's a time limit in which to save him, and if you take too long or shoot him yourself, you miss out on the bonus level.
- Stock Sound Effects: Many of the sound effects are taken from Marathon or Mortal Kombat.
- Standard FPS Guns: The Dark Knight's various gadgets functions similarly to Doomguy's arsenal of weapons, but some were modded to handle differently.
- Super Shotgun: Azrael's Glove is Batman's Super Shotgun in this mod.
- Timed Mission: "Gas Trap", set in a hospital where you have a few minutes to find a button to turn off emitters of poison gas.
- Wind-Up Key: The walking penguin bombs have one on their backs.
- Wolverine Claws: The Cheungs use these.