Tropers / Captain Chaos
Greetings Tropers. I'm Captain Chaos
and i'll be your designated zombie killer for today.
I'm on Steam under the same handle.
I have been lurking about on TV Tropes
for some time, and find it a most enjoyable way to spend time. I now find myself spotting tropes in my favorite works, and I find myself approaching these works from a critical standpoint I did not before. That said, I do hang around on here sometimes when I ought to be working or suchlike.
I decided to start contributing when I noticed that the page for one of my favorite Gameboy Games, Scurge: Hive
, had nothing on it save the "Describe X here" template. I hope the information I inputted about the game is satisfactory to any tropers who might have been trying to find the game. I created the page for Interstate '76
a while back, but soon found it mysteriously vanished, forcing me to begin it almost from scratch. I back up my page edits nowadays.
Look down this page a bit to see the pages I've worked on.
As an avid PC and console gamer, most of my contributions are to pages for video games that have no page to speak of or are otherwise sparse.
I am attempting to find my place as a content creator online. You can check out my stuff at the following links:
Tropes associated with Captain Chaos
- Bad Ass Long Coat: Only when I can get away with it. Turns out, a white guy in a trench coat gets a lot of weird looks.
- The Berserker: My preferred play style in most games. Faced with reality of being good neither at blocking nor dodging, my usual recourse is to Attack! Attack! Attack!. Where possible, I use ranged weapons or beef up my raw health and/or damage reduction.
- Berserk Button: I strongly dislike gaming treated as a business, be that large publishing houses such as Activision, EA or NC Soft(They killed Auto Assault, my favorite MMORPG) or "professional" or "MLG" gaming and the associated businesses. Games are about fun, damnit.
- Big Eater
- Caustic Critic: I actually really like a lot of media. But if I don't, I really don't.
- Cartwright Curse: Though not for women, but MMORPGs. Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, All Points Bulletin, The Matrix Online not long after I quit it, Metal Assault died the day I found out about it, and now Dark Millennium won't even BE an MMO, if I get to play it. Maybe it will be exempt from the curse. 2015 Update: NOPE!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: I have lost track of where I was going in a conversation more then once.
- Complacent Gaming Syndrome: I have specific patterns I follow in a lot of games, such as avoiding versus modes with very small teams and sticking to certain maps.
- Cool Shades: I wear Aviators, but mostly because they are the only sunglasses that fit my head.
- Genius Bruiser You'd hope, but most days I'm more of The Big Guy, Class 2.
- Genre Savvy: For action and horror films/games/books, especially those dealing with the Zombie Apocalypse.
- Hollywood Nerd: *Ahem* For a long time I got away without having to wear glasses. No longer the case.
- It Burns!: Aggh! Sunlight! To be fair, my eyes are unusually sensitive to such.
- Jumped at the Call: I will, if it ever comes. Been a hell of a long wait so far.
- Knife Nut: Especially for Blade Below the Shoulder.
- Male Gaze: Oooh, Jiggle Physics!
- Messy Hair
- Nostalgia Filter: I tend to view most things from The '80s and The '90s as superior to what we have now, especially games and cartoons. Less so the music, in the case of the latter.
- Percussive Maintenance: Gimme a wrench, I'll fix that red ring for you! I have found that kicking your tower PC in an emergency may actually help. I still don't recommend it though.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Anything else would probably bore me to death.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Many of my favorite works, namely The Black Hole.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Firmly on the ideal side. Ostensibly.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: On paper. In conversation no one understands me when I do this. I resort to Hulk Speak if I have to repeat myself.
- So Bad, It's Good: Several of my favorite works. My favorite movie is The Ice Pirates.
- So Bad, It's Horrible: Uwe Boll's works for starters, Borat, and the Asylum films. I have to draw the line somewhere.
- “Stop Having Fun” Guys: I can get like this after a few rounds of small-team versus games.
- Weaponized Car: My ideal method of transportation.
- Zombie Apocalypse: I'm your go-to semi-licensed zombie exterminator. If you see me running, try to keep up.
Favorite media of Captain Chaos
- Driving Game: Yes and no. I've had a love/hate relationship with Need for Speed and other traditional driving games, but I feel like most of them aren't balanced any better then Mario Kart. Just put guns on my car and get it over with.
- First-Person Shooter My favorite genre by far, if only because there are a lot of good ones. Or WERE, anyway.
- Third-Person Shooter: I am also fond of these.
- Real-Time Strategy: I dabble in these, but I'm not particularly skilled at them. My favorite would have to be Dawn of War.
- Roguelike: I really like games with procedural loot and environments. I could do without the punishing difficulty however, and prefer "Rogue-lites" or so-called "Roguelike-likes", preferably with things like persistent progression, and a choice of difficulty settings.
- Shoot 'em Up: The first non-educational game I ever played was Kiloblaster. From there, I moved on to Tyrian, Traffic Department 2192, and into Apogee Software's library with Raptor: Call of the Shadows. The rest is history.
- Vehicular Combat: My other favorite genre. Just take a look at the pages I've worked on.
Pages Captain Chaos has created/done major edits to: