Tabletop Game: Conspiracy X
Conspiracy X takes place in a world of dark secrets and hidden agendas where the only certainty is nothing is what it seems. The president might not be human, and the sign carrying paranoid on the street corner ranting about CIA mind control satellites may very well be right.
In other words, a world just like yours, if you could see beyond the lies.
— Conspiracy X Blurb
Often called "The X-Files
as a tabletop game
" by its fans, and first published by Eden Games for the Unisystem
and later adapted for GURPs
, Conspiracy X
is a world based around the concept of some or all of the conspiracy theorists being onto something.
Conspiracy X provides examples of:
- Area 51 is the base of operations for Aegis containing their attempts into reverse engineer alien tech, their Aurora aircraft and HERMES, a massive computer system and database for relaying messages and information amongst Aegis cells.
- Benevolent Conspiracy/Designated Heroes: Aegis' self-appointed mission is to protect humanity from supernatural and alien threats by any means necessary. Black Book has a similar mandate but its government backers want returns on their investment meaning that it concentrates on acquiring technology as well as knowledge. This means that Black Book has made more deals and worked with aliens like the Greys and the Saurians. The moral dubiousness of these actions has led to Black Book acting as pretty much as an Evil Counterpart to Aegis. On the other hand, Aegis itself has no qualms about committing similar actions if seen as justified by its mandate, including the execution and/or assassination of anyone who knows too much and won't work with them...including Presidents of the United States.
- Conspiracy Kitchen Sink: The Trope Codifier for tabletop gaming.
- Cryptid Episode: Cryptids are a major part of the setting, they even get their own sourcebook.
- Ghostapo: The Watch, Aegis' and Black Book's predecessor was founded to counter the Nazi's occult power.
- Kill Sat: "Project Rasputin" has a psychic Kill Sat. It's a gigantic amplifier for a crew of psychic characters, letting them use their powers on anything from one building to several square kilometers. In that area it can do things like read minds, alter memories, or yes, kill people.
- More directly, NASA also had "Gun Stars" that would fire mass drivers (specifically, hockey-puck sized chunks of metal) really fast at ground targets.
- The Men in Black: The players themselves (by default) pretty much play human MIBs. Especially if they choose a job that comes with nice suit, for example the Secret Service.
- No Such Agency: The National Defense Directorate is a secret part of the US military. Its existence only known to a few top officals and its funding is from through the portion of the U.S. military budget assigned to covert or “black” projects leading to its other name the "Black Book".
- Orichalcum: The discovery of this metal allowed humanities' ancestors to successfully rebel against Atlanteans since it gave them something to fight back against the Atlanteans nanotech. It boosts the Seepage level for rituals just by having on the caster or you can snack on some to give to boost a ritual's power (good thing magic metals don't give heavy metal poisonings).
- Psychic Powers: Humans have lesser pyschic powers (compared to the Greys) due to Atlanteans puting some Grey DNA into humanity's genome in the distant past.
- Public Domain Artifact: The Spear of Destiny was held by many powerful figures from history including Otto the Great, Constantine, Napoleon and of course Hitler. It's implied it caused some of Hitler's megalomania. The Watch retrieved it shortly before Hitler's death.
- Roswell That Ends Well: The Roswell Incident was the reason for the Watch spliting into Aegis and the Black Book. The scientists who later formed Aegis wanted to make peaceful contact with the aliens, but the soldiers who formed the Black Book shot the ship down. After the event Black Book accused Aegis of responsibility in order to sign a treaty with The Greys.
- Shout-Out: In The Extraterrestrials Sourcebook one of the illustrations is a scared guy looking out of an air plane window at a Grey ripping stuff out of the plane wing.
- Soviet Superscience: Project Rasputin was established under Stalin to research in psychics and the occult. They managed to create psychic power enhancers and a psychic Kill Sat. After the fall of the Soviet Union, Aegis co-opted much of Project Rasputin's resources for themselves. Meanwhile, although many who refused join were executed by Aegis, others who were able to escape went underground to eventually form an even more clandestine organization, Directorate X.
- Weirdness Magnet: A focus is someone who has unusually strong connection to the Seepage. The Seepage concentrates around them attracting all sorts of supernatural creatures and phenomenons.
- Who Shot JFK?: It get's convoluted; Kennedy found out that his Secret Service agents were working for Aegis and tried to blackmail them into becoming his own personal covert operations team. So Aegis decided that Kennedy had to go and got Oswald, one of the succesful MKULTRA subjects to take him out. On the day Oswald fired two shots but was interrupted by a Black Book agent sent to stop Oswald as part of agreement they had made with the president once Black Book got wind of the assassination but Oswald got away by shooting the Black Book agent who survived due to a Bullet Proof Vest (accounting for the three shells found in the book depository).
It gets weirder; the two shots Oswald fired were off-target so they wouldn't kill Kennedy so two psychics that Aegis had kept as back-up made the bullets zig-zag through the president (a reference to the "magic bullet" trajectory). But this wasn't still the kill shot which came from a mysterious shooter using an unknown quiet weapon who shot at the same time as Oswald from the grassy knoll that did that damage to Kennedy's head. It's that sort of game.
Atlanteans/Adlan’ns provides examples of:
- The Ageless: Thanks to nanotech, to the point if they want to pass as human for any significant length of time they need to use more nanotech to give them the odd wrinkle or grey hair.
- Ancient Astronauts: The Atlanteans who created/enslaved humanity made the humans worship them as gods. Atlanteans still made use of God Guise to manipulate humanity after they rebelled even though the Nameless Priests outlawed it (they want humanity under only a few religions; Confucianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Etc. Easier to manipulate a few big religions than lots of little ones).
- Atlantis: The aliens from "Adlan’ns" who came to our planet decided to build a city in the middle of the sea called Atlantis (and another called Lemuria) to rule over humanity. They then scuttled their own cities after the humans rebelled and decimated the Adlan’ns population on the earth.
- Big Eater: They need to eat a lot of calories to power the nanomachines in their bodies.
- Endless Daytime: The Adlan’ns planet is placed between its system's star and a stellar cluster meaning that it's never darker than earth's twilight.
- Flying Saucer: It is noted that while Atlantean ships are designed to the personal taste of the Atlantean, most are saucer shaped or spheres for ease of movement through the atmosphere and aesthetic reasons.
- From a Single Cell: As long as an Atlantean has Memory Preservation System intact and some Blood Surgeon nanites they can regrow their entire body and conscience. They even have a malleable spherical implant about the size of a golf ball called a Emergency Nanite Reserve that rests somewhere deep within the body shielded from most things containing back-ups. This makes them really really hard to put down permanently.
- Grey Goo: The Nameless Priests, Adlan’ns spiritual leaders, decided that the population had grown too soft and deliberately made nanotech that deconstructed any organic matter and that over-ran the planet forcing the Atlanteans off their planet and into the universe.
- Healing Factor: The Atlanteans can heal the most grievous wounds thanks to "blood surgeon" nanites.
- Human Aliens: Justified in that they had a hand in human evolution even splicing in their own DNA.
- Nanotechnology: Most of the tech Atlanteans have is based on nanotech. Humans can use it but due to physiological differences it's more dangerous for a human to enhance their bodies. It is also vulnerable to powerful EMP.
- Never Gets Drunk: Their nanotech neutralises all toxins including alcohol so it is difficult for Atlanteans to stay drunk for more than an hour unless he/she drinks continuously.
- Punctuation Shaker: The Atlantean languages use a lot of apostrophes and dashes though it supposed to be rendering their language in a way that humans can read.
- Telepathic Spacemen: Averted, they specifically do not have any psychic powers which led to the animosity between them and the Greys.
The Greys/Reticulans provides examples of:
- Alien Abduction: The Greys have been abducting humans since 1903 to study them, trying to figure out how to stop the psychic static. As part of the alliance with Black Book, the Black Book agents help pick out the abductees, clean up any evidence, help out with researchers/facilities if needed and sometimes do the abducting for the Greys (though Greys prefer to do it themselves rather than be spoon-fed humans by Black Book).
- Aliens Never Invented the Wheel: Since Greys have their psychic powers, shaped coral devices and can change their bodies to do all their tasks, things like the wedge, pulley, and lever are relatively alien to them. They just never developed the need for mundane tech so they rely on their Black Book allies for that sort of technology.
- Brown Note: When the Greys have contact with the psychic "static" that humans create it drives them mad. To be fair to humanity the Atlanteans gave humans psychic powers as a weapon against the Greys.
- Flying Saucer: The Grey ships are like this.
- Keeping the Enemy Close: The Greys and Black Book see their alliance as such with both trying to get the most knowledge out of the other fully aware that both are exceedingly dangerous to the other.
- Half-Human Hybrid: They are making Grey/human hybrids termed metahumans since they don't produce static with the added bonus of being easy to mind-control with the Greys' psychic powers. Though since humanity was created as a hybrid of Atlantean DNA, Grey DNA and a native earth monkey the percentages of their ancestry are somewhat complicated.
- Mental Fusion: Greys can combine their powers and thoughts boarding on Hive Minds (Greys do it voluntary).
- Organic Technology: Greys use coral shaped by their Psychic Powers both to enhance said powers but also to build things like their spaceships. Most of their machines and devices are simply the grown coral wrapped in a metal cover to protect it. They even shaped their own bodies to better suit them. It's to the point that they don't even understand non-organic technology.
- Psychic Powers
- Sapient Alien Cetaceans: The Greys were similar to terrestrial cetaceans before making contact with the Atlanteans which caused the Greys to decide that arms and legs were more useful for manipulating tools and getting around.
- Telepathic Spacemen
The Saurians provides examples of:
- The Men in Black are Saurians that have had their bodies transformed in a human's to the point that the only way to tell them apart from humans would be an invasive scan such as a CAT scan.
- The Reptilians: The Saurians are warm blooded reptilian humanoids that originally evolved from the dinosaurs well before humans.
- The Spock: While the Saurians do have emotions they are not very strong making it hard for Saurians to pretend to be human (they prefer their human forms to be bulky Dumb Muscle types so people don't expect much emotion from them). A faction called the Dreamspeakers has gained a higher range of emotion through their dreams but since they clashed with Saurian society they were persecuted.
- Ultraterrestrials: And they are generally unhappy that humans have taken over while they were gone.
- Whatevermancy: The Dreamspeaker have learnt to manipulate Seepage with their limited emotions calling it dream magic or hypnomancy.