Shout Out: Darwin's Soldiers
Since Darwins Soldiers features many, many players, it is natural that the players will include references to their favorite media.
- The character of Ridley is named after a similar character from Metroid.
- Shelton is disappointed at the lack of a crowbar in the closet when raiding Raulson's lab.
- The Phase Tank is modeled off the tank from Red Alert 2.
- Sharon compares the sublevels to Silent Hill and Resident Evil in the first RP.
- Shelton facetiously refers to himself as Dr. Gordon Freeman.
- A converted supertanker that is a floating Dragonstorm lab is called Surrounded Sea.
- The champion of a military themed shooting competition is named Nicholas Parker.
- Subject 19's claws are based upon Alex Mercer's claws.
- Subject 19 is given the code name Athena. Alex Mercer was given the code name ZEUS by Blackwatch. Word of God states that it was suppose to be a joke, using another Greek mythological God as Subject 19's code name.
- Cobalt Leader's real name is revealed to be Zachary Slavik
- The Human Cobalt Soldier's name is Sharon Redfield
- The trigger phrase for Kain's chip is Would You Kindly?
- Kagetora is based on a minor enemy in Ninja Gaiden
- Neku is named for the main protagonist of The World Ends with You
- Roux is named for a character in ZZ Gundam and Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
- The clearance question to auxiliary control references lyrics to "MacArthur Park."
- American Pie by Don McLean is heard at the beginning of part 2 of Card of Ten.
- Vic says, "Ground Control to Major Roy," when testing Roy Hawkeye's radio in Card Of Ten.
- The password to the ADSA HQ is "Shave And A Haircut."
- Many, many songs are heard on the radio as James and Co. drive to various places in their cars.
- It is revealed by Hailey that Trinity is a fan of classical music and to the point that Beethoven's 9th Symphony is heard playing with the Trinity Facility as well.
- Darwin, duh.
- Shelton mentions Sacco, Venzetti, and Daniel Ellsberg when Hans asks about his chances at freedom.
- Shelton himself takes his first and middle names from Rudyard Kipling and Oscar Wilde.
- Many of the titles of LB&T's works include famous names, like Schr÷dinger and Nietzsche. Others come from famous quotes, like Card of Ten and Ship of State.
- Not really an historical figure, but Gustave the crocodile is named after the real life Gustave.
- The Einstein-Rosen Bridge is named after the hypothetical wormhole proposed by the eponymous names.
- The Double Helix eatery.
- Shelton mentions Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion when describing how Gamas formed.
- James uses the Coriolis Effect to select a corridor in Pavlov's Checkmate.
- Shelton also mentions having an Erdos number of 7 in the first RP. Which is actually a rather pathetic Erdos number.
- The Cobalt Squad in the first RP had a tendency to use famous scientists' names as derogatory terms directed toward the scientist characters, Examples of names used as such include Newton, Hawking, and Bill Nye.
- Kerzach is mentioned as having worked on a Small Hadron Collider, which later plays a role in Schrodinger's Prisoners.
- Rara Terra Smelting from Fool's Gold by Serris is established as lanthanide refinery.
- Rara Terra means "Rare Earth" in Latin. Rare earth is an old name for lanthanides.
- Shelton says the Dragonstorm "thought network" was a branch-off of the phone tooth invented in 2002.
- A scientist named Dr. Dyson Holmes is the subject of a really long and convoluted shout out. Spoilered below:
- "Dy" and "Ho" - the letters for Dysprosium and Holmium.
- The lab report he worked on is titled "Toxicity of Lanthanide Containing Alloys In Pediatric Psions" - Dysprosium and Holmium are lanthanides.
- There is also a reference to Dr. Holmes being "hard to find". Dysprosium is named after the Greek word "dysprositos (δυσπρόσιτος)", meaning "hard to get".
- LB&T's answer works too. He thought "Dyson Holmes" was a reference to Sherlock Holmes and the Dyson Sphere, since both are "hard to find" (Holmes because he's a detective, good at remaining unseen, and Dyson Sphere because 1] they don't exist and 2] a Dyson shell would block the rays of the encompassed sun making it hard to see from an astronomical viewpoint.)
- Krebs-Calvin Pharmaceuticals is mentioned in the second RP.
- James's favorite expression is allegedly "I'll trust you when there are two electrons with the same spin occupy the same atomic orbital". Spoilered below:
- Electrons cannot occupy the same atomic orbital unless their spin quantum numbers are different.
- A tiny mining town in Texas is named Platanna Town.
- Main character Ender McThair from the Furtopia RP.
- A sadistic canine guard is nicknamed Miss. Cujo.
- The complete works of Shakespeare play an important role in Card of Ten.
- Lab 101 was named after Room 101 in George Orwell's 1984.
- Shelton also says, "Big Brother's back in the saddle!" when they get the cameras working again in the first RP.
- The code used by the Dragonstorm scientists in the first RP consists of multiple references to Homer and the Aeneid.
- Dragonstorm passed out copies of The Art of War to everyone in the organization.
- The Anaconda who saves Dr. Kerzach's life by killing Jake Sachs and teams up with him in the story Fools Gold is named Paul Gamay
- <Characters who use the Dragonstorm thought network are referred to as thought-speaking, and their dialogue is punctuated with triangular brackets, like in Animorphs>
- The head of security on the Dragonstorm supertanker/lab is named John Cade.
- In a Gaman library, Dr. Joe finds a book called The Gamas Delusion, referencing Richard Dawkin's book The God Delusion.
- Shelton mistakes ROSS' name as "Rossum", a name from R.U.R. - Rossum's Universal Robots, the play that coined the term 'robot'.
- In the third roleplay, right when Calchas is about to finish what he needed to interrogate Shakila...
- Assistant: Mr. Babcock!Calchas: Out I say, out!
Film/Live Action TV
- Shelton says he feels like MacGyver when he gets himself out of a locked room.
- PFC Reynolds, a minor recurring ally, is named after the character from Firefly.
- Several background characters are named after redshirts from other franchises, such as Compton, Carstairs, and Udesky.
- Branston mentioned that during a heist at the Zzyzx Desert Studies Center, Camilla knocked over a soup ladle while trying to be sneaky.
- In the second RP,
Branston: Dr. Zenarchis has the other trigger.
- Die Hard is mentioned in the first RP, and Die Hard on an X is discussed.
- When Neku activates his lightsaber, Shelton warns him that it's not nearly as strong as the ones on Star Wars.
- Weyland-Yutani is mentioned in the 3rd RP as being "one of the foremost manufacturers of prosthetic limbs and other cybernetics"
- Shelton pocket-texts Dr. Kelton. Kelton was a patrolman in Plan 9 from Outer Space.
- The third RP reveals that a big budget movie is being made about the first terrorist attack. Name-dropped actors include Robert Downey, Jr., Thomas Kretschmann, and Neil Patrick Harris. We also get this exchange:
Shelton: "You could be looking at the next Dave Bowman."Cobalt Leader: "Hm, the way I remember your role in the whole situation, you'd probably be closer to the Chevron Guy on Stargate."
- A shooting range in the 3rd RP is called Czerka Tactical Arena.
- Shakila has revealed her last name to be Brennan
- Zachary facetiously refers to a Dragonstorm experiment that attacked them as the Terminator.
- A Texas based juvenile detention facility/Dragonstorm lab is located on 623 Deadwood Drive. And the warden is named Francis Wolcott
- A certain Captain Kirk Lutra is the head of the Dragonstorm floating lab Surrounded Sea.
- "I'm sorry Soundwave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
- Shakila punches Calchas in the face, but injures her hand doing so
- Shelton's goatee and ponytail disguise was inspired by Timothy Omundson's guest character on seaQuest DSV.
- Shout-outs to weaponry all over the freaking place.
- One of the soldiers used a Patton tribute pistol in the first RP. It was never explained exactly why he had one of those.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is referenced when James blasts through the floor with a gun in Card of Ten.
- Shelton's password to the computer system is killapp123, both a reference to killer apps and Lotus-1-2-3, a spreadsheet program and early killer app.
- Jessica Boyle of Escondido, a play mentioned in the first RP, is named after an actual person LB&T knew in real life.
- The reference to Ender McThair in Card of Ten established the anti-matter universe the characters were stuck in as synonymous with the Furtopia universe.
- In Pavlov's Checkmate, James uses "Nigel Munroe" as an alias, which happens to be the protagonist's name of a failed attempt to start a Darwins Soldiers RP in the Bulbagarden forums.
- Not really science, but James finds a CD encrypted in BASIC.
- It's actually binary, Shelton misspoke.
- A woman named Selina Kyle is mentioned.
- Shelton mentions being in Mensa in the first RP.
- The Dragonstorm experiment who first attacks the group is named Magneto.
- A single shot doctor in the 3rd RP is named Dr. McCoy.
- Alfred's response to Zachary when he is asked if he can tip a 3 ton truck over.
Alfred: I exceed the strength of the strongest Human by quite a bit but I am not Colossus!
- Shelton makes an offhand comment about TV Tropes.
- Dr. Zanasiu sarcastically calls Dr. Shelton Professor X through the thought network.
- The fictional actor Stephen Di Georgi is named after two people that Serris knows in real life.
- Marcus uses the name Logan on his name tag.
- Stern's two assigned allies in the Schutzhund are competitors 1138 and 1337.
- After taking out Project Zeta, Shakila says this:
Shakila: Batman eat your heart out.
- It is mentioned that Dr. Stan Lee first discovered the mechanism by which psychic powers work in 1963.
- The first psi-experiment created is named Jean Gray and in a Shout-Out to X-Men: The Last Stand she is eventually put down by the scientists after her telekinetic powers went out of control and killed several scientists.
- Do note however, that the "telekinetic meltdown" manifested in the form of people getting violently thrown around, not in the form of people and objects getting disintegrated.
- A Sgt. Frank Castle is seen as a member of the United States Army
- A Chimera-based Dragonstorm experiment attacks Kiara and Hailey in the 3rd RP
- A certain elderly Dragonstorm researcher in the spin-off story New Divide goes by the codename of Old Mother Hubbard and she has a canine assistant.
- Drake has the inventory number of Experiment 626
- The town of Cornova is named after the author of PokÚ Wars.
- Shakila gives off the fake name of Violet Parr and the fake number of A113 as her experiment number.