To the Manor Born was a Brit Com created and written by Peter Spence that ran for three series from 1979-81 and a Christmas special in 2007. Upper-Class Twit Audrey fforbes-Hamilton (Penelope Keith) is forced to sell Grantleigh Manor, the Big Fancy House which has been in her family for countless generations. To her horror, the historic estate is bought by Richard DeVere (Peter Bowles), a Nouveau Riche supermarket magnate. To make sure he doesn't make a mess of things, she moves into a lodge in the front yard.As the series went on, Audrey became a Defrosting Ice Queen and developed a Slap-Slap-Kiss relationship with Richard. They had a Last Minute Hookup in the Grand Finale. A one-off revival episode was aired in 2007.Came twenty-first in Britain's Best Sitcom.
- Alpha Bitch: Audrey was one before her drop in status. She's still pretty "alpha" during the series through sheer force of personality.
- Arranged Marriage: Audrey claims her marriage to Marton was this.Marjory: That was an arranged marriage?Audrey: Of course: I arranged it.
- The Grand Hunt: Fox hunting features in several episodes, as Audrey is a member of the local hunt, and Richard joins as it is expected of him as lord of the manor.
- Kissing Cousins: Audrey's late husband, who died pre-series, was also her cousin.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Though this is a Justified Trope, as Richard is Eastern European and his real name is Bedrich Polouvicek. He came to Britain as a child in 1939.
- Preppy Name: Audrey fforbes-Hamilton, her late husband Marton (yes, spelled with an o), and her school friend Marjory Frobisher. Richard DeVere is a subversion: his real name is foreign but he changed it specifically to invoke this.
- Pride Before a Fall: Happens to Audrey in the first episode, of course, but also to Richard. He comes in boasting that he'll turn Grantleigh into a profitable modernized farm in no time and quickly realizes that he knows nothing about farming or country life.
- Pun-Based Title: On Shakespeare's "to the manner born."
- Shipper on Deck: Mrs Poo, which pays off when she finally gets her wish to have Richard and Audrey marry.
- Suspiciously Specific Sermon: Not a sermon, exactly, but the reading of the lesson. Audrey arranges for Richard to read Matthew 19 for his first Sunday at church.Richard: [reading from the Bible] "I tell you this: it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Do you think she chose that deliberately?
- The Unpronounceable: According to Audrey "Polouvicka" is this, thus the nickname "Mrs Poo".
- Well-Intentioned Replacement: In one episode, Richard bought Audrey a new Austin Metro to replace her expensive-to-run 1930s Rolls-Royce when she considered selling the Rolls; she was offended by his thinking she needed charity and couldn't bring herself to sell the old car to a collector since he planned to rebody it.
- Widow Woman: Audrey, which she happens to be quietly delighted about! Subverted as of the finale - in which she and Richard happily marry.