The New Adventures of Old Christine
is a sitcom created by former Will and Grace
writer Kari Lizer, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus
. Debuting in 2006, and canceled after five seasons, it allowed Louis-Dreyfus to defeat the dreaded "Seinfeld
The show revolves around divorced gym owner Christine Campbell (Louis-Dreyfus), a mess in many respects, but one who has maintained friendly relations with ex-husband Richard (Clark Gregg
). One of her many neuroses is triggered by his dating a younger woman who's also named Christine (Emily Rutherford). Also in her orbit is brother/housemate Matthew (Hamish Linklater), son Richie (Trevor Gagnon), and sassy black
business partner Barb (Wanda Sykes).
- Actor Allusion: In one episode, Christine yells 'Get out!' and shoves Barb's chest. This is an allusion to Julia Louis-Dreyfus' most famous character, Elaine from Seinfeld.
- Almost Kiss: Christine and Richard have had many of these...
- Amicable Exes: Old Christine and Richard. Matthew and Barb will remark how the divorce is the only think they did right. Its also deconstructed since the two are so friendly after divorcing, it causes their own relationship partners to feel neglected, causing New Christine to call off her and Richard's wedding.
- Black Best Friend: Barb
- Blondes Are Evil: The two Meanie Moms that old Christine meets who make fun of her in every appearances. New Christine is the complete opposite.
- Citizenship Marriage: Between Christine and Barb. Controversial example. She also does with Richard after it was annulled.
- Deadpan Snarker: Matthew.
- Deconstruction: The show sometimes goes and zig zags this. It sometimes shows how really ugly can Old Christine's life get, if she's always as neurotic and stressed as she is. Mainly, almost everyone in-universe can state that she is going insane, and she's almost always having an eye tic whenever she's really getting into it. Whether this is the actress's performance, or a Christine's quirk, it's not stated. However, Christine ended up going on therapy, so it's probably true, Christine IS crazy. This is all, of course, played for laughs, but if there weren't any laugh track, she would be something to worry about.
- Did You Just Have Sex?
- The Ditz: Oh, Christine, so much!
- Even the Guys Want Him: Mr. Harris
- Gaussian Girl: Every shot is slightly out of focus.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Invoked in one episode via Christine trying to get into a rolling stones concert. Or at least, it was attempted, and failed.
- Incest Subtext: there's a lot of incestuous subtext between Christine and Matthew. There was even a scene in which Christine made out with him though it turned out to be a dream. One episode shows that he is her Living Emotional Crutch and Matthew's therapist suggests the reason they don't have lasting relationships is because of their relationship and him transferring his mommy issues onto her.
- It's All About Me: Christine is very self-centered and selfish, which is frequently lampshaded, but she doesn't realize it most of the time.
- One Steve Limit: Averted. The main character and her ex-husband's girlfriend are both named Christine. Christine's ex also has a girlfriend called Christine.
- Also Christine's ex-husband Richard and their son Ritchie.
- Only Sane Man: Barb and Matthew may be the only two characters on the show who are remotely close to intelligent, but even they're not all that normal.
- Parents as People: All of the parents in the show, or at least all of the mothers, are emotionally majorly damaged or alcoholic if not both in some degree.
- Real Joke Name: A case of Stripper/Cop Confusion happens when a handsome buff young police officer shows at Christine's place on her birthday to warn her about a prowler in the area. When he introduces himself as Officer Johnson, Christine assumes this is his stripper name.
- Rich Bitch: The Meanie Moms.
- Running Gag: Everyone calling Old Christine 'old', Old Christine's drinking problem.
- Sex with the Ex: New Christine and Richard in season 5 after she calls of the wedding, though they do get back together.
- Stripper/Cop Confusion: A muscular young cop named Officer Johnson arrives on Christine's doorstep to warn her of a prowler in the neighbourhood. However, it happens to be Christine's birthday and she thinks Barb has sent her a stripper. Cue one increasingly confused conversation between Christine and Officer Johnson.
- The New Adventures: Although there aren't really any "old" adventures that occur prior to the show.
- The Unfair Sex: Defied. Richard refuses to move out of the house after he and New Christine break up, since he owns the house, too.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Christine sues Barb for alimony.
- With Friends Like These...: Old Christine is not a very good friend.